Thread: Lights on River Boats

Default Lights on River Boats

What kind of light set ups are you all using on your river boats? Been using the hand held 10million candle power. They work good but you need to have someone skilled running them. I am looking to upgrade to something a little better. Also, for those of you running outboards how do you have your lights set up for power? Do you power them to your starter battery or do you have a separate battery just for lights and electronics? Thanks.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

ive researched this topic and its been beat to death on riverjet magazine as well. from what i get out of it is that if your lights are mounted high on top then you get a pretty bad glare from the front of your boat and dont see much past that. the best way is to have your lights mounted as far forward as possible (like right on your bow) to be fully effective. i havent installed any as of yet so im not experianced but id look into it before i spent a buttload of money on lights and be dissapointed. here in southcentral bout the only time ive needed lights for running is around moose hunting season and we got by with a 2 mill spotlight at idle speed downriver.

The "Light Force" lights are nice from what I have seen.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

if you are looking top of the line get some hid spot or flood lights the best of the best bar none

to do it right and save battery i would run a deep cycle orbital or optima battery but with the h.i.d.'s they only draw 35w per light but light up 3-5 times more than a standard bulb, and add a battery isolater or you will have to charge battery after every use. they will run between $300-$800 for a set on e-bay, spendy but if you have ever run a car with these lights u can understand the value of these lights bar none. well worth the money.

I have twin halogen headlights mounted in the bow of my Wooldridge Alaskan. They are wired into the junction box and turned on with a flip of the switch from the dash.
    Tennessee

ive used a handheld 1 million candlepower spotlight for years and it worked fine in the right hands. I've also mounted a pair of spotlights on the bow of my wooldridge, but they have to be hanging over the bow so you cannot see them, or you get horrible glare. Used to run up and down 20 mile at 3-4 am back in the day before i sold the boat. I have the same lights and tried mounting them on the radar arch of my new boat and i get way too much glare, it just lights up the bow of my boat and i cant see past that, useless.