Thread: Honda forman Es vs Rubicon

Default Honda forman Es vs Rubicon

I will be buying my ATV within the week and have it narrowed down to the Honda Forman ES and the Forman Rubicon with its automatic transmission..

I had heard that the 400 AT transmission was not good (aned now discontiued in 08) and I am a little worried about the automatic transmission in the Rubicon, since they are similar (I think), so ANY and All help you can supply to help me decide, would be VERY much appreciated.

They are similar in the fact that they are both hydrostatic. The Rubicon trans has low range while the Rancher does not, which in my opinion was a bonehead decision on Honda's part from the get go. Same with the Rincon.....no low range = not the best choice for Alaska. I have an 01 Rubicon myself with about 3000 trouble free miles on it. Of the Honda lineup it is clearly the best choice. Hap

Default Go with the rubicon

I have an '07 rubicon. Not a lot of miles yet but no problems yet. I think it is only a $300 dollar difference for the rubicon which gives you the auto-trans and a few other features as well.

Default Rubicon...

Needed to correct myself on the price difference. It isn't $300 (at least anymore, was when I bought mine). Anyway I like the automatic, its smooth and provides excellent engine braking. The Rubicon has the ES program alongside the automatic as well. It also has a slight larger engine as well. I'm not sure whether the Foreman has low-range like the rubicon (it must). The foreman has a power steering option, but pushes the price up nearer the Rubicon.

The ForemanES doesn't have the extra low range like the Rubi but it is geared low to begin with and will do whatever you need it to. The Rubi is heavier and is water cooled which I don't really care for but I'm not the one buying a new machine. I do like the Rubi but it has too many options which can only lead to more expensive repairs should it break down. Either one is a good choice and should give you many years of trouble free riding. Good luck with whatever you choose!