Thread: Ground Hunting Over Bait

Default Ground Hunting Over Bait

I believe I found a decent spot to bait up in Petersville. My question now is, should I use a stand? As this is my first year hunting in Alaska I have already spent a good deal on quality gear between hunting and fishing, so I am now on a budget and looking to cut corners financially where I can. I know the only time I will use a stand is when baiting. Does anyone here hunt on the ground over bait and if you do how do you setup? Thanks.

I have hunted black bears over bait from a ground blind. It definately helps to have someone along to keep an eye on your backside, especially in the area you are looking at..there are lots of brown bears in there too. Ground blinds can be effective if they are set up right.

A buddy of mine had a particularly tough bear he was hunting. It would hang up 50 yards from the bait and always wind him as he circled. My buddy built a ground blind about 50 yards from the bait right on the incoming trail and left it empty for a week. Then, one morning he occupied the groundblind and left the stand empty. The big bear he was after walked right to where he always hung up..about 10 yards from the ground blind...and my friend easily arrowed him.

You can always go to the local lumber yard and ask if they have any scraps. I have built many stands and ladders with slab wood usually with the bark still on you just flip the bark down and then nail it down flat so your stand is flat then when you set up a bucket or chair whatever you are going to use as a seat will not be on an unlevel surface. We usually set our stands 12 to 15 feet up which Blackies can still get to so you still have to watch the curious ones.This is cheap and cost effective. Has worked for me for 5 season and havent broken a stand yet.

Do you take your stand down at the end of the season?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Yeah we have been reusing the same lumber at each stand so the next season everything is already cut and we just put it back in place. It makes for a larger stand so that you can fit 2-3 people pretty comfortably. Its nice for the camera man as well to get the shot fromo right behind the shooter. makes for some awesome footage.

Quote Originally Posted by windswept View Post
    I believe I found a decent spot to bait up in Petersville. My question now is, should I use a stand? As this is my first year hunting in Alaska I have already spent a good deal on quality gear between hunting and fishing, so I am now on a budget and looking to cut corners financially where I can. I know the only time I will use a stand is when baiting. Does anyone here hunt on the ground over bait and if you do how do you setup? Thanks.
    I guarantee you that you will have happily spent the $60-$70 for a cheap latch on if a big brown wanders in to your bait. On the flipside I have used them in places where there arent very many griz and the only downside to them to me, is that some big smart bears will not come in if they smell you,or see you, but the smaller ones do not care and will come in with no issues. You might even peek their curiousty to where they will get uncomfortably close.

Default stand?

I know you are supposed to take your stand down at the end of bait season, however I have seen several still in the woods. I asked fish and game and the told me as long as the person says they are using it for moose season they can leave it up. I havent researched this at all but I remeber asking the F&G dude last year when I registered my bait. hope I didnt hijack the thread.