Thread: Burris Glass....

Default Burris Glass....

Has anyone used any of the Burris Fullfield II scopes in the field? Everyone I have talked to has only taken them to the range and they say they are happy with them. Do they hold up as good as a leupold? They seem to have a nice bright sight picture (in the store) and they have their own ballistic holdover marks for a lot less cash than a leupold. Like I said, just wondering if they are as rugged.

I wouldnt take a Burris if you gave one to me. They are not as rugged as Leupold and their service sucks. The lower end ones are made offshore, by the way.

Default Burris Scope

Would Rather Spend My Pennies On A Used Leupold Than A New Burris--if You Get A Defective Used Leupold, The Company Will Make It Right --regardless! Forty Years Of Using Leupolds And I Am Still Satisfied!

Thumbs up Fullfield II scopes

I give the Burris Fullfields a big thumps up. I've got two 3-9's and used them on -06's and on a 338 Win and got a 4.5-14 on a 257 WB.

Two years ago my 12 year old son picked the 3-9 FFII over a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 using both in regular and low light conditions. He had no brand loyalty and didn't know who was who in the scope world according to the gun rags opinions. He said the Fullfield was clearer to him and better in low light. There's an unbiased opinion for sure...

I really like them and also the Signature line, got a couple of those too. They are not the smallest or the lightest compared to some, but they are clear and hold up well from my experience.

Dollar wise, bang for the buck, I think the Fullfields are worth it and a winner for the $200 range scope market.

I'll add that I can't speak for their customer service, 'cause I've never had a problem. Neither has three friends of mine who also have and use Fullfields.
    Last edited by Ozarks; 03-12-2008 at 19:16. Reason: added info

Thumbs down

I have a Burris FFII and I am satisfied with it on the range but am NOTconfident with it for hunting. I had a bad experience with their binos and the service department SUCKED!!!! I will continue to use Leupold scopes where you have to depend on your equipment and use the Burris where it don't matter if it fails and toss it when it does. If you carry a Burris in the field I suggest you carry a back up so you dont waste a hunt.

Default Love them!!!

I've had a lot of different scopes and only buy Burris now. About the only one I've found that I like better is Pentax but can't bring myself to spend the money when the Burris scopes are so nice. Great in low light, the ballistic plex is awesome with some practice, and I haven't had any involvement with Customer Service either because I've never had to!

Default Burris Scopes have been good to me!

I have to say, I am very happy with mine. and I have 4 scopes from burris. i have 2 4.5-14's, one 3-9X40, and a 2-7X35 tactical, all are Fullfield II's. I have had a big fat ZERO problems with mine, so cannot talk about their customer service. i wouldn't hesitate to own another, and likely will soon. Just so you all know, I have Leupold Vari-X 2's and Vari-X III's, I have a Swarovski, Nikon, Weaver, and have had Tasco, Pentax, and a couple others I am embarrassed to name! So, I feel I am plenty qualified to toss out an opinion on the subject. They work fine in the field, and I feel it's a stretch to say to carry an extra because they will fail. ALL scopes can, and do fail at one time or another. Yes, some scopes far less than others, but the reality is that more dollars buy more scope. You would be hard pressed to beat a Burris FF II for the money spent.

Default Burris are great

I've been using Burris for about 8 years now and have had no problems with them in the field. I have traveled on planes, 4 wheelers and even banged one, accidentally while hunting in the mountains and all situations have held the zero. I have never had one fog up in bad weather and I have hunted in some nasty stuff. Of course everyone has their preferences for optics. I used to be a Leupold man and still have a couple on rifles which are quality optics as well but I found that the Burris seem to gather light better in low light conditions. As for customer service, I haven't had to use either and everyone who has ever had to contact a customer service has had some type of issue no matter who the company was, especially these days when customer service is virtually non-existent; I believe it depends on who you get on the phone and what kind of day that person has had as to what type of service you get.
    I just put a new Fulfield II on my new 375 Ruger but haven't had the chance to sight it in yet.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm a Bushnell kinda guy and I've never used a Burris, but I think I'll get me one.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default I have both

Allthough my leupolds are only vx II I think the burris is allot brighter. Ive had zero problems so i cant comment on service dept. I think for the money Burris FF II is the best scope on the market. Hillbilly

ALL my best scopes are made by Burris and never had a problem with any of them........I would own a TASCO be for I'd get another Leupold scope....even my father-in-law (a BIG Leupold guy) is switching over to Burris from all the Leupold drama he's been through.

Default I own three

I have three. The oldest is over 10 years old (I believe they had just came out but I am not sure exactly when it was). I have killed lots of deer, antelope and coyotes with it on my 30-06. I then bought one with the ballistic plex for my 22-250 and it has worked well and bought one for my .338 win mag a year ago but haven't shot it much. I have never had a problem and the one on my 30-06 has never failed me. I think for the price it is a good scope. I also have a spot scope that I got with one of the scopes and I really like that as well.
    Good luck.

Default Burris

I have a Burris compact 3x9, and it is as bright an my leupold. I have posted comments about a positive service experience before. I lost one dust cap, and received 4 replacements in under weeks time. They responded to emails same day too.

Thumbs up +1 for Burris

One more happy Burris owner. Mine has been dropped and dunked and is still perfect. (Except the scratches) The only Burris product that I have been disappointed in is their compact spotting scope. It gets too dark if you zoom over 20X. Of course I got it for $60 on ebay.

I like my burris scopes. I have a Fullfield II on a 270WSM, but I haven't taken it out to the field to shoot it. It is a pretty good scope for the money. The scope that I was amazed with is the black diamond that burris has...I use that as my spotter when I am helping people sight guns in at the range. Yeah, the burris compact spotter is pretty poor (the black diamond is better and has lower power) but it came with the Fullfield II, so I can't complain too much.

Default thumbs up for burris

i have a fullfiled II 3x9 on a remington model 7 in 7mm08.

i also have a fullfiled II 1.75 x 5 on a ruger mkII in 350 rem mag.

have hunted in twenty below zero conditions on several occasions with the model 7 with no problems. i agree with others that the burris glass is bright. i have owned leupold and other german glass.

i am saving $$ for a scope for my super redhawk and marlin 45-70, but will likely go burris on those too.

i have also heard great things about the burris customoer service and not so about leupold.

do your research, buy at a good price, you should be happy going with burris.

forty below

I have at least five Leupolds including a couple of VXIIIs but the Burris 3 x 9 FFII on my sheep rifle has been trouble free despite a rough life and very low intial cost.

In the late 90's I bought a 3x9 FFII for my .338. It was the first non-Leupold scope I bought for any of my center fire rifles. I had problems with the scope not holding its point-of-impact. Eventually I convinced Burris to exchange the scope, and they did......after about six months of convincing though. When I got the new scope, I have to say I didn't really give it a fair chance to redeem the Burris name. My confidence in their line of scopes was rattled, and that wasn't the frame of mind I wanted to operate in when using the gun for large and/or dangerous game. I decided I shouldn't have strayed from Leupold and went back to the gold ring. Could be I had an isolated case with Burris though.

About 10-12 years ago I bought a Burris 4x Mini compact second hand. I mounted it on a Savage 99 .300 Sav. When I tried to sight it in the reticle came loose.

I contacted Burris by phone, they told me to send it in with $50 and they would fix it. I asked them to replace the duplex reticle with a thin post and cross hair if possible. Later a rep phoned me to say that their post reticles were too large and could not be put in the scope. I settled for a replacement duplex.

About 2 weeks later I received the scope. When I opened the box I found a letter and my $50 dollar M.O. The letter said that my request had prompted them to try installing a post reticle in the compact. It worked out very well so there will be no charge.

The scope has the neatest narrow post and cross hair reticle I have ever seen or used. The scope has been mounted on a Marlin 1895 45-70 for the last 5 or 6 yrs. and has held up perfectly after several hundred rounds of some pretty heavy loads.

I also have a straight 4x , 6x and a 2-7X and like them as well, if not better than my Leupolds.

I do have to add that I do not care much for the new designs of some of their scopes. A bit too futuristic for an old traditionalist like me, but if they work, what the hey...