Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to hunting...need scope suggestions

Question new to hunting...need scope suggestions

Im pretty new to hunting, and my boyfriend just bought me a 3006. It needs a scope and i honestly just have no idea on where to start when it comes to finding the right one for me. In need of suggestions!

Don't know how much you want to spend but I would say get something with fairly decent eye relief. Save yourself alot of hassel and get a Leupold VXll 3x9 in you can afford it.

til later

Default suggestion

Get a new boyfriend, one who will give you a scope with your rifle,

But in all honesty I'd probably get a fixed 4 or 6 power scope. Most major manufactures make them, Nikon, Lepould, Bushnell, and they are reasonable, usually under $200. The best part about these are they are idiot proof, just look thru it.

I'm a big Leupold fan, You can spend as much as you want. To go inexpensive, lots of good deals out there on 2x7 and 3x9 variex II or VX IIs. Also I have had great luck with a Burris 3x9. Wholesalehunter.com usulally has a web special or two where you can get one with a spotter or set of binos for~$200. I would stay away form anything lower end than these though. Good luck!

I would say for best value go with a nikon or best scope a zeiss. I have owned a few high end Leupold scopes and now that I own a zeiss I would never own another. As far as value I have seen a buddy nikon and ben more inpressed than my $1100 leupold. Sorry not trying to bash anybody. Everyone has there prefrences. When I bought my last scope I narrowed it down to a couple and I spent probably a hour comparing them at the sports shop before buying. The big things I look for in a scope is clarity close and long range and the scopes ability to see in low light. What I would do if I was you is figure out what power you want (3x9 would probably be great) and what you want to spend then just go look through them and find what you like best.

Default Scope

If you have a accurate rifle it will only be as good as the scope you put on it. My suggestion is buy the best scope and mounts you can afford. Burris, Nikon, Leupold, Ziess, Swaro
    get a 3X12, 4X12, you have a rifle that has the range get a scope to match and you will have a rifle that will last a lifetime, Warne mounts/rings --- go to Sportsman's Warehouse and look at the options, if you decide on what you want then start price shopping on that model
    My 2 cents

First, unless he is a sniper, there is no need for a powerful scope. I imagine he will use his present from you to hunt, therefore a Leupold VX, or better, a Vary-X III in the range of 2-7x, 2.5-8x, or maybe 3-9x is more than enough for hunting in Alaska. Buy the best Leupold you can afford. He will thank you for it.

I forgot to mention the following: as a scope goes UP in power, most tent to go UP in size, too. There is nothing uglier than a huge "bazooka-looking" think on a small rifle. A 2-7x, or even a 2.5-8x scope should be smaller in size, which looks much better on a rifle. Some of the Leupold Vary-X III cost around $400.00, but they can last a lifetime of use, and gather enough light for the Alaska hunting he will encounter. You can always give him a money order (or cash) for him to spend it on whatever scope he wants. Let him worry about it instead of you

Thumbs up Burris...

I have Burris scopes on a 300 Weatherby and an Armalite 50 BMG. They are awesome and have a lifetime warranty. I can not say enough about this company. There is a heck of a deal now at Cabelas for a Burris Fullfield 3-9 and a Garmin GPS for $209!! Below is a link. You could not go wrong with Burris. Especially at this price.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rris&noImage=0

The Fullfield II 3.5-10X50 is on sale for $329 as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rris&noImage=0
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Get a Leupold.

Tasco All The Way!!:d:d JK

Default Scopes

Well i will go in to the delails a bit for you, i put my wife into a rifle a while back and it had a tasco 3x9 on it. We went out shooting and i decided to shoot the rifle first with the tasco. It tagged my glasses do to the short eye relief. Let me add i do have extensive tactcal back ground in shooting both short and long range long gun and Pistol. I have since removed all of the tasco scopes and went with leopold across the board. The eye relief and life time warinty can not be beat and the price is still mid range. I have since gone with a 308cal and a leopold rifle for her and she love it. Your shooting skills will suffer from a rifle that kicks the snot out of you and when that scope taggs you in the forehead. I dont want to go into the gun size on this thread but there again you can buy a cheap gun and put a great scope on and be better off than a cheap scope and a good gun and not be able to see the target. Good luck

Default Yep..

Good points just made on getting a good scope. I could go so far as to say to spend as much on the scope as the gun. Another way of thinking, mount the gun under the scope. Rather than mounting a scope on a gun. While the quality of the rifle is important, it is just as important to get a high quality scope. A side note, getting high quality rings/bases and lapping the rings will pay big dividends here. I can't tell you the number of people with good guns and scopes that were unhappy with their set up. Often to find it was a scope mounting issue.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Zeiss is good for the money, but not the best. Not compared to Schmidt and Bender anyways.

I will agree, for the money Nikon is hard to beat. Just got a new Monarch 2.5-10 for my 25.06 and it is every bit as comparable to a VX - III.

Also for about 125-150 dollars, you can't beat there prostaff.

I've been messing around with a couple Vortex scopes on some beater rifles. Overall I've been very happy with them for scopes in the $200 range. Over the summer I am going to run them through the ringer in wet weather and see how they hold up. Cameraland had some demo 3x9's Diamondbacks for $149 and I can't see a single mark on it..looks like new. It has the clarity and eye relief that my Leupolds have at much less money. No hassle transferable warranty too.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I dont want to go into the gun size on this thread but there again you can buy a cheap gun and put a great scope on and be better off than a cheap scope and a good gun and not be able to see the target. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I could go so far as to say to spend as much on the scope as the gun. Another way of thinking, mount the gun under the scope. Rather than mounting a scope on a gun. While the quality of the rifle is important, it is just as important to get a high quality scope. A side note, getting high quality rings/bases and lapping the rings will pay big dividends here. I can't tell you the number of people with good guns and scopes that were unhappy with their set up. Often to find it was a scope mounting issue.
    Some very good points here. Buying a quality scope pays good dividends. I think you should look at your rifle, scope, ammo as a *shooting system* If two of the three are good quality and the third is not, then you are comprimisng and wasting the other two. *Generally* speaking, spending the same on scope and rifle is a pretty good rule.

The comment about bases and rings is very true also. What good is $1000 scope that is slip sliding around in the rings.

Personally, I think The Bushnell Ellites are good and the Nikon Monarch. There are some other ones too.

I am putting on a $1500 Nightforce on a $1300 SAKO. In this case, the scope can out perform the rifle, which means I get the most out of a great rifle.

Im the same way Montana, I just had a 2000, pre 64 .375H&H built and put a 1600 schmidt &bender on the gun. Optics far outdo even a custom built gun.

I really like the Nikon Monarchs as well. If i had to rate scopes:

1. S&B
    2. Swarovksi.
    3. Zeiss
    4. LEUPOLD VX 7
    5.Nikon

.....Sorry, just can't stand Night Force

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Im the same way Montana, I just had a 2000, pre 64 .375H&H built and put a 1600 schmidt &bender on the gun. Optics far outdo even a custom built gun.

I really like the Nikon Monarchs as well. If i had to rate scopes:

1. S&B
    2. Swarovksi.
    3. Zeiss
    4. LEUPOLD VX 7
    5.Nikon

.....Sorry, just can't stand Night Force
    Curious why you dont like Nighforce? I find it also intersting since Nightforces are made in ID

I will say yes, that NF has great optical quailty. But I prefer the European styling of others and for my eye I don't think they are $1500 clear. But don't get me wrong, they are a good tough scope.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    I will say yes, that NF has great optical quailty. But I prefer the European styling of others and for my eye I don't think they are $1500 clear. But don't get me wrong, they are a good tough scope.
    I guess we all have our prefferences. I've never looked through a S&B but they sure look like a great scope. There are few things about the NF I personally like over the S&B and the clarity and resolution in the NF seems outstanding to me, but once again I haven't compared it to the S&B. The NF is a little heavier than I like but it really isn't an issue for me.

I was just suprised to read that you *couldn't stand* the NF because I don't think I've heard one bad report about NF scopes. So I was wondering if you had a bad experience.

I would like to read a comparrison review on all these higher end scopes from some guys who have done comparrison tests. Clarity, resolution, light gathering, toughness, adjustment repeatability, etc. I think it would be intersting.

Good shootin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast