Thread: Abu Garcia

Default Abu Garcia

I am looking for a new bait caster for Salmon Fishing. I am looking at an Abu Garcia. Anyone have any recommendations?

thanks

Default trophy

Abu Garcia 6600 or 6500 trophy. You will spend about $120 but they are a fair amount better in the areas that need to be better than just a standard 6500.
    Justin

Default Thumbs Up

I've had a 6501 for about 10 seasons. It's now beat up pretty good, and still catching fish. I have several others in the 5500 and 6500 class. Love them all. Sturdy, simple, reliable.

Mort

Default 6500

I have even been using my 6500 with a stout rod for halibut fishing in the Bering Sea this year. I have pulled many many many fish up off the bottom with it. I took it apart to check the gears and clean it up real well. It still looked almost good as new inside, and it is 4 years old. They are tough to beat.

I have a dozen Garcia's, they are all 5500-6500's and I have to agree with the other posts. For the money I wouldn't buy anything else. One note to add, the C3(silver), C4(blue), C5(green) designates how many bearings are inside the reel. The more the better but you won't go wrong with a C3 model. Also, the model's that end in 01 are left handed reels, example-6501.

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all of the information on the reels. I am definetly going with one; now I just have to decide which one to buy.

Default Ambassadeur

I love my 6501-c3. I'm not left handed but I really like the left hand baitcaster setup. It just makes sense to me not having to switch hands everytime I cast. When using a spinning outfit you reel with the left hand (when set up "right handed") so it was a natural switch. The 6500 series is a good size for silvers up to some saltwater species (I pulled up a 30# Ling cod the other day with it).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default C3's for sale in the swap forum

I think they wanted $55 each for them and they were just refurbished

That's plenty or reel for all but Kenai Kings

I'd negotiate the price.........