Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for backpack hunts

Default Food for backpack hunts

Ok guys, What kind of food you take when you are sheep hunting?

Mountain house works pretty good. I read (Tony Russ I think), that the goal with food is 100 calories per ounce. I also like oatmeal for breakfast, so that is pretty light and tastes pretty good. I saw some liquid coffee packets yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse that look interesting. I might give those a try before hunting season to see how well they work. I also use my food saver to vacuum pack trail mix, beef jerky, etc. Another thing that works for me is Emergen-C for flavoring my drinking water a little bit and also the bonus of the vitamin c.

Flavored instant oatmeal for breakfast. Powerbars, granola bars, high calorie snack foods for lunch. MountainHouse for dinners. Nothing pretty..light is good.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Oatmeal, jerky, and mountain house for the first part of the trip...sheep meat for the second part!

Thanks for the reply, thats pretty much what I had in mind. Now here is another question. What are you guys using for food preparation? Titanium cookware. Are all of them pretty much the same?

I actually still use aluminum. I have an aluminum pot to heat water, a plastic mug and a plastic bowl. I forgot to add that I carry a bunch of hot apple cider mix for hot drinks. It's full of sugar and has 100% of vit. C.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Flavored instant oatmeal for breakfast. Powerbars, granola bars, high calorie snack foods for lunch. MountainHouse for dinners. Nothing pretty..light is good.
    X2 on the food. I use a MSR stove and a titanium pot w/ a lid to boil water in. My stove fits into the pot. I carry one plastic bowl, mug, and a spork to eat everything with. While backpacking I use the coffee packets, and leave the press at our base camp.

Never sheep hunted, but I have a snow peak giga stove and the snow peak mini solo cookset; the stove and fuel nexts inside. It's slick.

If taking mountain house/entertia/or other similiar.... you don't need to cook food, you only need to boil water.

Keith

If your on a low salt diet don't use the mountain house stuff, as its loaded with salt. Some of the items I bring include potatoe flakes, top ramen, rice, pancake mix, and boxed hashbrowns.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Great minds think alike....

Ditto on the mountain house, we've kicked around others, we like the all-natural dehydrated soups too. Oatmeal is great for breakfast, and we add a few dried blueberries.
    We have lots of water in our sheep area, but be sure you do AKdude. All of these posts require lots of water. <grin>
    We use a MSR dragonfly with ignitor and Ti pot/lid combo.

The traditional jumbo Snickers finds its way into the pack too; we indulge and celebrate when we kill our ram.

Vacum sealing some good granola (I use the stuff from Great Harvest) with some dried milk makes a nice change from oatmeal. Also has the advantage of being able to eat cold.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

2 liter titanium cook pot with lid- plastic bowl, spork. I also have a nissan thermos- holds 16 oz. of coffee/hot choc./cider- the thermos weighs about 8 oz. but having hot drinks throughout the day is worth it to me.

A small MSR stove and a couple of butane bottles do the trick- we almost always have extra. I also bring some top ramen- although it requires more water than mountain house so consider that depending on your water source.

Finally, I have been up and down the candy bar aisle many times and have found that Reese's Nutrageous pack the most calories, protein and fat for the least amount of weight- we usually bring 2 per day for each of us. Trust me, you've never eaten anything better as a late night snack than one of these while you're on top of a mountain glassing sheep!!

Default for a change of pace

try the fruit leather I think it is called. You can find them in the natural food section in Freddies.

Default Some thoughts

Probar- Like a mega sized energy bar-expensive but good.
    Mixed Fruit Clif Mojo Bars
    Metrx protein drink mix
    vitamin C powdered drinks
    instant oatmeal(not as much)
    gatorade-powdered(powerade is not as good)
    couscous from bulk food section
    metrx big cookie bars
    SW Pepperoni snacks(14oz bags)
    1 hunk cheese
    1 hunk summer sausage
    1 box of pilot bread
    2 lbs of peanut butter.
    Chili raimen noodles
    The Veggie mountain house is better than the chili mac

I use two sets of plastic fork, spoon, knife combos from MCs or Taco bell.
    One set breaks but they are light and cheap.

I pack about 20 lbs of food but I generally go for about 12-14 days on this.

I stash half at my main camp and then I also have reserve at the truck in case I need to go back again.

sincerely,

thomas

I have found that as I have bought lighter and lighter gear and lowered my pack weight I will spoil myself with a couple goodies that some have mentioned such as the occassional candy bar or Blow pop, and even 2-3 blueberry bagels and nothing beats a hunk of Black bear summer sausage and a block of cheese, at least for the first few days. The way I see it I am lowering my pack weight each time I eat something!...grin

The rest of my meals are about the same as everybody else, oatmeal, energy/granola/breakfast bars and mountain house for main meals. Dont underestimate how good the Mountain House granola is, that stuff rocks. I eat it at home sometimes for a snack!

Default low sodium?

If you're doing the low sodium thing, ramen, and other instant, processed foods are also not good..........read labels.........I have a pack of ramen in front of me with 980mg of NA/serving..........potato flakes/200-600mg...........hash browns/280-840

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Vacum sealing some good granola (I use the stuff from Great Harvest) with some dried milk makes a nice change from oatmeal. Also has the advantage of being able to eat cold.
    I got tired of oatmeal as well. I mix it up and eat Kashi whole grain cereal with Craisins and powdered milk. The Kashi is nice because it has some protein added to it, which is nice if you've been beating up your muscles for a few days.

Default Give me salt or I'll Cramp

I find that I need salts and electrolytes because even when its cold I sweat like crazy.

I don't care that much about the sodium.

Hydration and good regularity are more important.

This gets less important when I start eating sheep.

I think I could live on sheep and gatorade.

I like taking fish strips as well(3-5lbs)
    This is salty but is good for about every thing.
    I again pay attention to fish odors and oils.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default Hunting Food

I like my food, a lot. I start the day with a couple of the instant oatmeal packets, a hot chocolate, and an apple cider. Carry a couple of power bars for snacks, take an MRE (open it before I go and get rid of the condiments and anything that is just extra weight)for lunch, and eat half a mountain house for supper. I end the day with a hot chocolate and apple cider to put me to bed with. The MRE's are heavy, but I like to have lots of energy. I sometimes will even take a jar of peanut butter if my pack isn't too heavy.

I use the Jetboil to boil my water with. Works great, I have boiling water in 2 minutes. I myself don't like the ramen noodles as I don't get much protein with them and they don't stick with me. Oh yeah, I take a bottle of tabasco because everything goes better with tabasco!

Default no freeze dried

I avoid freeze dried like the plague. There is nothing in them but salt and carbs; empty calories, bulky, need lots of water and fuel for the water, etc. MetRx bars are lighter, smaller, need way less water (hot, at least), have some fat and lots of protein. Freeze drieds DO give you the satisfaction of a hot meal, but I weigh that very little, myself. I'd rather eat a MetRx bar and a cup of hot water than a freeze dried. But, whatever cracks your cookies....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast