Thread: Argo

Default Argo

Looking at buying an Argo. I'm sure there is a lot of info in the archives here, but I'm interested to hear anyone’s opinions on the new Argos. I was looking at the Frontier (6 wheeler). Back in the day I used an old one (1984) that was an old girlfriend’s dads, the machine was impressive. Obviously don't use that one anymore. So what can people tell me about the new ones?

I would suggest going with a 8 wheel argo.

if you want to get anywhere fast, don't get one....

if you want to get anywhere smoothly, don't get one...

if you want to go pretty much anywhere, winter or summer, get one...

oh yeah, I 2nd the 8 wheeeler suggestion, tracked up they're pretty much unstoppable...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I remember they were having some transmission problems with argo's in the 1980's, has this been fixed or are they still fairly unreliable?

Thumbs up Go Argo you won't regret it

I have the Avenger EFI 8x8 and I wouldn't trade it for any 4 wheeler or 6 wheeler out there!! Yes they ride rougher than an ATV, yes there slower on hard trails, yes they cost more, yes they require a little more maint. but it's worth every bit when it comes to swampy trails, crossing lakes, and slow moving streams, hauling loads of gear and towing meat wagons, staying clean and dry. You can just look back and wave at the ATV crowd as they don't swim, can't haul the gear or the people that an Argo can can't tow as much. Last year I had my moose in my Argo, my daughters moose and a friends moose in the meat wagon and the three of us in the Argo and we went places loaded like that I wouldn't have even tried on a 4 wheeler. I bear bait on the back side of a lake that you have to float across to access it's nice to see the 4 wheelers tracks that follow my trail to the lake and know that there not able to get to my bait unless they hike it.

I second fishes response. Go Avenger EFI if you have the money with a top.If you don't plan on buying new the Conquest is a good machine, it is what I have with tracks and an aluminum top but go 8x8 not 6x6. I do plan on upgrading to the Avenger in a couple of years but do not plan on buying new. there has been some good deals on 04-06 Avengers in the state already so I am hope that there will be some EFI machine on the used market soon.Mine is a 2000 Conquest I bought new and it has 450 hours. I have replaced bearing,chain, and the drive clutch not bad for what I put this machine thru.

The Avenger EFI would be the ultimate machine but for me the price was over budget. I'm happy with my Frontier and used it last year to haul our two moose back to camp. I'm building a meat wagon for next season to make up for the smaller cargo space. Lots of power with the 23 Hp (before the Avenger came along, the "big" Conquest 8x8 only had a 20Hp).

Default Good Info.

Sounds like the 8x8. I know they are not as fast as a wheeler, but the pros seem to out weigh the negatives. Reminds me of a time my friend bought a new 700 4-wheeler, and I had my old 400. He came flying around a corner, and stated in much excite meant...wow I just hit 60 mph down that trail! I asked him and how many moose did you see going that fast...his response...none. point exactly! Not looking to go fast, just everywhere!!

If you can afford it get the 8x8 thats all I run and own , And if you can afford it get the super tracks . Now a days with atv tire getting bigger. The standard tracks sometimes are just not wide enough and you will get high centered from the atv ruts. Or of you are looking at a 6x6 look at the NEW FRONTIER ,It ist taller and has the same body style as the Avenger and a nice engine to boot. The other thing to think about is the Briggs has a pull start the kawasaki egine does not.If you are looking check out Craigslist alot of them on there.

They do not make the Conquest 8x8 anymore you'll have to find a used one
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I have heard alot of bad things about the Briggs Vanguard engines. I think it was something dealing with the oil system.

Rodger,
    U.S. Bearing here in Fairbanks sells the axle bearings for the argos. They are cheaper then the argo dealer. I talked to them yesturday and it sounds like they sell a good many of them to argo owners. If I remember right it was $32 for one and $41 for the other. If you need a phone # just let me know.

Default 8x8

Here is my setup
    Attached Images Attached Images