Thread: Anchorage Inboard Mechanic Recommendation

Question Anchorage Inboard Mechanic Recommendation

Can anybody recommend a good inboard mechanic in Anchorage? I have a 302 Ford with a Holley 4 barrel. After it sits for a while, the carb seems to lose it's prime and it won't start unless I pour a little gas down the carb, which isn't the safest thing to do. It runs awesome once it's going, it's just hard to get started after it has set for a little while.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Default Professional Marine

I have been very happy with Professional Marine (563-2082) on Potter in Anchorage. Mike and John there have both been very helpful. I have a 24' Duckworth with a carburated Redline 460 (Ford).

Odies Marine or Noah's marine. You could try those two, but I've heard Professional Marine is good also.

How long is a little while? Are we talking about a couple weeks or more? Or just an hour or two while anchored up fishing? Gas will evaporate from the carburetor over a couple weeks of sitting, this is normal behavior. If it is happening in a couple hours, I'd be looking for fuel dripping from the carburetor, maybe from the accelerator pump diaphragm.

My IO will dry up from sitting at the dock, but I installed a squeeze bulb in the fuel hose near the fuel pump (like you use to prime the outboards). If my boat has been sitting more than a couple days, I pop the cover up and prime the carburetor with the bulb before I start up. This also gives me a good excuse to check my oil and coolant, and look at my belts and hoses.

Thanks for the tips and recommendations! Professional Marine is right around the corner from my office, so I think I'll stop in and see if they can help me out.

My carb will dry up after sitting for a few hours or so. I haven't noticed any leaks anywhere around the carb or fuel pump and my fuel line looks good. What is the accelerator pump diaphragm, and where would it be located? I'm a far cry from a mechanic, but I don't think it's sucking any air because it runs like a champ.

Thanks again,

If your accelerator pump diaphragm is bad it will normally run very rich.