Thread: Advice for curing eggs

Default Advice for curing eggs

So, last year I took my family on a guided Kings float trip down the Gulkana. We caught exactly ZERO kings, but hung into two. Head hanging low, we stopped in at Meyers Lake for lunch and met Jim. He said we needed to use his "lucky bait." Really it was just fresh eggs cured with Pro Glow cure in the bright red color.

My question... is there a certain egg cure that you prefer? I'm always looking for a better "lucky bait."

BTW... the guides name was _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . To help out a fellow fisherman, I'll fill in the blanks with a PM. I know the fish don't bite all the time, but the guide should show up on time with good equipment at least.

Thanks

I stopped using bait in the early 90's, but my favorite cure was Borax and Sugar dissolved in warm water with red food coloring added. I don't remember the exact amounts of each, but I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1lb of borax, 1lb of sugar, 1 or 2 quarts of 90-110 water, and 1/2 bottle of "Crescent" red food dye. Cut the skeins into walnut-sized clusters and soak up the excess egg juice, then throw 'em in.

The trick was to let the eggs soak for long enough to firm up, but not long enough to waterlog. 30-60 minutes should do the trick. Take them out and rid them of excess moisture immediately, then air-dry on a screen until tacky. Pack them up in clean borax and you are ready to go.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    I stopped using bait in the early 90's, but my favorite cure was Borax and Sugar dissolved in warm water with red food coloring added. I don't remember the exact amounts of each, but I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1lb of borax, 1lb of sugar, 1 or 2 quarts of 90-110 water, and 1/2 bottle of "Crescent" red food dye. Cut the skeins into walnut-sized clusters and soak up the excess egg juice, then throw 'em in.

The trick was to let the eggs soak for long enough to firm up, but not long enough to waterlog. 30-60 minutes should do the trick. Take them out and rid them of excess moisture immediately, then air-dry on a screen until tacky. Pack them up in clean borax and you are ready to go.

Mark
    Do you use this cure for steelhead too?

I use nothing but salt, tried borax but didn't milk very long and nothing that i have found milks longer and better than salt cured eggs. put them in a 1 gallon ziploc and pour in some salt and shake and then add more salt and shake and repeat process untill salt does not absorb into the eggs anymore then double bag and either freeze or stick into fridge.

Pro Cure, Pro Glow, & Nate's have all worked well for me just kind of depends on the day and the mood of the fish. Follow the instructions from the manufacturers but the key for me is how you take care of the eggs before you cure them. Bleed your fish and try not to let your eggs come in contact with anything that might taint them. Another thing a trusted guide friend told me is that he won't cure and egg that's been dead longer than 6 hours. I took his advice and my catch rate has significantly increased.

Thumbs up

I've been told it's imperative that you bleed the fish as much as possible *AND* remove any blood (capillaries) that may still be present in the skein of the eggs...otherwise, the dead/stagnant blood can affect the natural scent of the eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent fin View Post
    Do you use this cure for steelhead too?
    Actually, that was the primary target...kings 2nd, coho 3rd.

Long ago, I worked for Siberian Salmon Egg co., Alaska Premier Bait, and Cossack Caviar and Salmon Egg, inc. I learned a lot about curing eggs, and a lot about the myth and hype of marketing egg cures.

Some helpful tips for home curing...
    Find a way to drive some (but not all) of the water from the egg. Usually this involves a Dessicant...think sodium group, or sugars.
    Dry-storage eggs are happy eggs. Borax is the best medium I have found to keep eggs dry and protected for freezing.
    Fresh eggs cure easier, and with less additives, than not-so-fresh eggs.
    Salt-based cures tend to be touchier, and can make for loose membranes, whereas sugar- or borax-based cures tend to toughen and tighten membranes much more efficiently.
    Don't disregard the use of dye.
    Crushed vitamin C tablets Brighten your eggs...ascorbic acid is a great antioxidant.
    Sodium Sulfite, when you can get it, makes great bright-red eggs. Use a tiny amount in a water-based cure (1gm/2lbs) and you will be shocked at the color retention.

The most important thing...
    Believe in your cure. There are tons of ways to do roe...most of them work. If something catches fish, use it. There is no silver bullet cure that guarantees results, just patience and good presentation technique of well-cared-for bait.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by KWP View Post
    My question... is there a certain egg cure that you prefer? I'm always looking for a better "lucky bait."
    Try these links:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=65622

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/f...&Number=259637

I've been a big fan of this cure since I started using it in 2004. Fished Amerman cure on the Kenai that July for kings, and our egg bites outnumbered the strikes on my most trusted plugs by a factor of 4:1.

And that was running two egg rods and two plug rods at virtually all times! These eggs have NEVER let me down yet.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

One thing that has always done well for me is just some salt, sugar and a pack of raspberry or strawberry jello. Let the eggs sit in the jello mix over night, pull them out and refrigerate to get them out of the juices. They stay together very well and your fingers smell like jello when you are done baiting. I always do very well with them.

I use pro cure and balls o fire cure and also borax with raspberry jello. They are all good.

If you use pro cure follow the directions and the eggs will be better.

I just sprinkle the fire cure on eggs or shrimp and have at it.

------

I have switched to cooked or raw shrimp for salmon bait and dont have to mess with the cure. Shrimp are hardly messy at all. I did use a little fire cure on some raw shrimp last year because the kids like to use colored shrimp.

---

If I was serious about fishing eggs for kings I would definately look at the Amerman cure. I only fish bait on some silvers but they are not picky where I fish. i usually get my silvers on vibraxes. I dont fish anywhere that bait is legal for kings except the Homer spit pond and Herring or Shrimp under a bobber does well for me.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

There is a good, albeit cheap book on egg cures at sportsmens...well worth the 15 bucks or so you'll spend with tons of recipes to boot.

I've used pro glow and pro cure, a homemade juju concoction. But the reality of it was there was one thing that I add at times and one I dont that seems to really fire kings up. Did it on the deshka, fishing was slow and pow, fish fish fish while people around me were ticked...passed on some of the secret mojo cure and found out later they did as well.

What was it? Look to your wifes spice cabinet, I'll leave it at that . You can find it easy enough if you look around, cough cough....sorry this is one I wont publically give up anymore then it has been, it works to dog gone well. I dont use it all the time either, but when they want it, they really really want it bad.

And yes, regardless if you are keeping eggs or not, you should bleed your salmon. Better yet, bleed gut and gill them. Bleeding is simple, bonk them, then stick the inside roof of there mouth where the first gill raker meets from each side

Kind of appauling how much time we spend, how much money on gear, and traveling, to fish the Alaskan Experience only to have 30 fish not even gutted in coolers traveling days before they are taken care of, or the fella with a stringer of 6 here or there throw in the trunk coming back from the russian etc. Dissappointing if I do say so.

I can see it now; Garlic eggs, oregano,cinnamon,pepper eggs. How about western sizzle deer steak seasoning.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Egg Cures by Scott Haugen

I also like Amerman eggs. First fished them last June on Kodiak Island, and the Kings preferred the Amermans compared to eggs cured in salt & sugar. Also had good sucess with Amermans on Deep Creek and Anchor River.

Egg Cures by Scott Haugen - recipes from some top guides, and fisherman.

http://www.scotthaugen.com/books/ec.html
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-13-2008 at 12:56. Reason: spelling

Rm,

Nope it was none of those...get the book I'll have to go back and check to see if it was there I saw it or in STS mag.