Thread: Which Die set and crimp die for 454 Casull?

Default Which Die set and crimp die for 454 Casull?

I need to get dies for my Casull and a good crimp die!

Any suggestions? Are Hornady new dimension dies worth the money (everything else is back ordered at Midway).

My presses are an RCBS Rockchucker and a Lyman Hand Press.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

The 454 is notorious for it's ability to shake loose a bullet with it's modest recoil. The best die I've found to crimp this one and keep bullets in place is the Redding Profile crimp die. It is a combination of a taper crimp and roll crimp and it works. I tried the lee factory crimp die and bullets walked with it and not with the Profile crimp. 360 grains at 1500 fps is a lot of recoil in an unported gun.

The Redding titanium carbide dies set is about $48.00 and the profile crim is $18.00 from Graf, that's dealer pricing, if ya want 'em.

The Hornady new dimension don't offer anything new in the crimping of cases.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I use lee dies and crimp with bullets with the bullet seater die in a seperate step.

I have had no problems at all.

It is an extra step is longer than just putting a crimping die in but it does work.

I will probably get the Redding profile crimp die. To do it right, so to speak.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The Redding titanium carbide dies set is about $48.00 and the profile crim is $18.00 from Graf, that's dealer pricing, if ya want 'em.
    I am not familiar with Graf, but I am certainly interested.

Default 454 dies

Give the friendly folks at Boondocks a call, they might have the redding dies in stock. e.

The die will pay for itself in time saved.

I was reading on the redding site about there die sets. They state:
    Since the most popular machines do not make use of an expander die, it has been eliminated in the new “Pro Series” sets.
    I found that interesting. How/why do progressive presses skip this step?

(I found Graf & Sons)

Never mind, answered my own question.

I wish for once somebody would have everything I need in stock all at the same time!

Default seat and crimp separately

Don't know if you already know this or not, but it seems to work better to seat the bullet and crimp the case neck in separate steps. This is what I do and things do seem to get done more consistently. I know this takes more time, but since we all are passionate about our reloading, that can only be better, right? right....

That's the plan. I think I am going to go with the Redding profile die and the Hornady dies (though not my first choice). It looks like with a few contortions I can get everything I need into one order.

OK. And Yes. And..well.

When I talk about a separate crimping die...that means it just crimps....it does not seat.. And I don't know if everyone knows the Lee factory crimp die just crimps. A taper crimp die just taper crimps. A roll crimp die just roll crimps. And a Profile crimp die just taper and roll crimps together they do not seat.

A set of standard Redding Titanium Carbide dies comes with a sizer die (Carbide), an expander die, and a seater die. That is a standard set. The Profile crimp is a fourth die that is purchesed separately. The "Pro" (this means progressive, not professional) series set of dies has a sizer (also Carbide), a seater die and a profile , or a taper (semiauto calibers) or a profile crimp die. No expander die, but still a three die set. The powder measure of the progressive loader has a piece which goes into the case mouth and it expands the case to the correct dimension (supposedly) to allow the bullet to be seated easily. The "pro" series seater die does not have a crimp function, just seats. Also the "pro" series dies have a bit more flare at the opening of the die to allow for more wobble and still let the case enter the die easily. You can buy this "pro" set and then add the expander die for about $20 or buy the standard set and add the profile crimp for about $20. Six of one half dozen of the other. You can also add a competition seater die which does not crimp, just seats with micrometer control of depth and has a guide sleeve for to align the bullet up in the case before seating..

As Mauserboy said, two steps. You should never seat and crimp in the same stroke. A seating die should just seat, then the inconveniece of readjusting to crimp can be eliminated by the crimp only die. All my handgun calibers are loaded with a four die set, size, expand, seat (usually competition seater) then crimp. The crimp is either taper crimp or profile crimp. These are loaded in the seven stage turret (not progressive) press. I put all the dies in the marked slot for the particular die then size them all, expand them all, seat primers with a separate machine, then charge (powder measure is on a stand not in the press), seat then crimp.

And R/G, how could you answer your own question without me? I feel useless!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I wish for once somebody would have everything I need in stock all at the same time!
    Gosh isn't that the truth! There always seems to be one item that is backordered....argh.

Thumbs up Lee Factory Crimp

Lee factory Crimp die for the 454 about $10

Thumbs up Redding Profile Crimp

Murphy is right on with this one. The profile crimp holds the bullet a lot better than a Lee factory crimp, especially with hot hardcast loads. I have had good luck with the RCBS carbide dies for sizing, flaring, and seating.

I've been looking for profile crimp dies around Anchorage for a couple months now, and I've found nothing. Boondocks, without a doubt, does not carry them. I'll have to order a 44 mag profile crimp through Sinclair.

I just received my profile crimp dies for .41, .44, and .454 after less than a week from Graf's. Great folks to deal with! Love to support the local guy, but you can't buy 'em if he ain't got 'em.

Chris

Gunrunners has a set of Hornady new dimension .454 dies on the shelf for about 50 bucks. Saw them there on tuesday or so.

Ebay is a good place to look for items like dies.

I just got a .44 mag redding profile crimp die for $6.52 + $2.75 shipping.