Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing Situk May 26th...........

Thumbs up Fly Fishing Situk May 26th...........

Forum -

A fellow high school buddy and I (class of '63) will be fly fishing the Situk from the Raven Cabin below 9 mi bridge starting on the 26th of May. Part of my research on the Situk; what to use in terms of flys; rods; etc. came from this forum.....it is appreciated. It should be an exciting trip; they always are.

If anyone is fishing the Situk during May I would appreciate updates as to how it is going.

Upon return I will gladly post comments with pictures.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK
    email: smallbiz@wt.net

At the end of May, the Situk will have relatively few fish. Probably the most abundant will be spawned-out steelhead. I personally don't like beating up on them when they are in that condition. Some early kings will be arriving, and maybe a handful of (very) early sockeyes. Most of the Dollies will have migrated out of the system. There are resident rainbows, but most of those are found far upstream, near Situk Lake.

Thanks for your comment...Previous discussions with the Wildlife Rep for the area indicated that the run had been late the last 2-3 years; and that May/June had produced. That is the reason I made the post I did; for seasoned information such as yours.
    If that is the case; we'll just do what we can and get there earlier next year. Thanks for the input.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

Quote Originally Posted by 8seconds View Post
    Thanks for your comment...Previous discussions with the Wildlife Rep for the area indicated that the run had been late the last 2-3 years; and that May/June had produced. That is the reason I made the post I did; for seasoned information such as yours.
    If that is the case; we'll just do what we can and get there earlier next year. Thanks for the input.
    May-June? Who said that? Does anyone know if this is true? All the reports I've seen for the last 2-3 years on the Situk have been from early fishing (beginning as early as late March, I'm serious - with sno-cats and all to get there) - and produced alot of fish then.

smolt patterns.... lots of smolt patterns
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Smile

The person providing the information on the late run has been responsible for that area for over 26 years for the Foresty Department. Maybe it was a comment to lure folks away from the heavy part of the season; if so, i'll be back next year. I was particularly sensitive to Tsui's comment on Steelies that had already spawned and not beating up on them. Is this a huge concern from a (their) survival viewpoint? Obviously, we catch and release except for maybe one (if we're lucky enough).
    First I'm an outdoorsman and don't necessarily have to harvest game/fish to have a successful outing. Been to BC, Bitterroots (4 times), Clearwater Drainage in N Idaho (3 times), Ontario, Cascades, Colorado, Texas Valley and Dismal Swamps to name a few.

I'll check again on the late run comment and report back to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    May-June? Who said that? Does anyone know if this is true? All the reports I've seen for the last 2-3 years on the Situk have been from early fishing (beginning as early as late March, I'm serious - with sno-cats and all to get there) - and produced alot of fish then.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

I honestly don't know the situation with downstreamers (spawned out steelhead), but cohos are actually MORE sensitive to hooking mortality when they have just entered from the ocean (even tho they are brighter), and are tougher after they have turned color.

I frankly don't get much of a kick out of sight-fishing a spawned out fish sitting on a redd (nest), but I couldn't say if it hurts them more or less.

Default AK Powder Monkey - Smolt Patterns???

I fly fish; but don't know what a smolt pattern is? Can you help me out here? Thx
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

Stevesch -
    as a follow up to your comment in this thread regarding fishing the Situk in late May, please note the following from the Dept of Wildlife AK:

-----Original Message-----
    mailto:rob.bentz@alaska.gov]
    Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:34 AM
    To: Howard (Buck) Sheward
    Cc: Robert E Chadwick (Robert E Chadwick)
    Subject: RE: Situk River Update
    Howard,
    I haven't heard how the steelhead run is this year. Our area management biologist in Yakutat recently retired so I haven't heard any reports.
    Bob Chadwick might have some current news.
    Late May is not too late. Many anglers fish in late April-early May, when most of the fish haven't entered the river yet. I think it will be better in late May than late April.
    I haven't read any papers that report high hooking mortality for kelts (post spawning steelhead) anywhere. As long as you're using artificial lures I wouldn't worry.
    Have a great trip.
    Rob
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Buck
    Its been a few years since ive fished the Situk but i was able to do it 16 years in a row. How lucky was that.. I always went from april 25th to may 10th. .
    Back then it only cost 139 round trip from anchorage to yakatat on alaska airlines it was the mail run. I would start at the 9 mile bridge and float to the mouth. I think it was 60.00 for the drop off and pick up we would do it three times. I couldnt wait to get to the 9 mile bridge the first thing you do is jump out and look down in the pool below the bridge. You would always see 5 or ten giant steelhead they looked like kings. Your going to be there on the 25th. Most of the fish will be in the river by then but there will be some coming in. its hard to predict the situk its like some are early and some are late and there is about a week when the main run hits.
    Some years it would be slow from the 25th to the 1st or 2nd we would catch fish but not like the main run was in. When the main run hits i like to be in the lower part where it widens out and has narrow runs ive had 25 fish days there. the fish do not stay in the lower part of the river vairy long. Thats why I would float it 3 times the first to find them and so on.
    There have been years when we didnt hit the main run untill a few days before we left and i wish i had a few more days. that only happend maybe twice..
    As far as a fishing rod my old sage gfl 890 Was on every trip. I always had a spare rod just in case There was alot of bears and on some days i never seen another person but i think them days are over.. Keep us informed and take lots of pictures.

I have a good frend thats going to the situk from april 28 to the 5th of may he said he will give you a good update. I told him to take lots of pictures.... This pic is the flats lower situk 1980
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails o.jpg  

someone just posted there trip to the situk in the Alaska fishing thred . they just got back and said there was alot of hold over fish and a lot of fresh cromers coming in now.........

Question looking for some tips

I am planing a trip to the Situk for next year. Does anyone have advise on fishing on your own versus guides. I am under the impression it is hard to rent a boat anymore with the drop-off/pck-up as this cuts into the guides use-days. Any advise?

Wink 16 Years!!!

Thanks for responding with your experience, very encouraging. We plan to return so will move our dates up slightly. I believe our air fare from SeaTac to Yakatat & return is $340 and some change. Times HAVE changed............I like your idea of floating the length to locate the masses; but that is not in our formula as you know the outfitters have an access limit and negates our using them due to budget constraints. That's not a deal killer as we can move up and down the river during the week we are there.
    Do you care to comment on what flys you had the most success on? And possibly what time of day you used them and/or other variables that pushed you one way or the other? I am carrying a 7 wt in and a 6 wt spin/fly rod interchangable as a back up and to spin fish as well. I'm trying out suggestions on spinners and jigs with a floater. Ha, I'm not a purist, and it could be fun.

And yes, when we return I will post some pictures.

Looking forward to hearing from you again,
    Buck

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    Buck
    Its been a few years since ive fished the Situk but i was able to do it 16 years in a row. How lucky was that.. I always went from april 25th to may 10th. .
    Back then it only cost 139 round trip from anchorage to yakatat on alaska airlines it was the mail run. I would start at the 9 mile bridge and float to the mouth. I think it was 60.00 for the drop off and pick up we would do it three times. I couldnt wait to get to the 9 mile bridge the first thing you do is jump out and look down in the pool below the bridge. You would always see 5 or ten giant steelhead they looked like kings. Your going to be there on the 25th. Most of the fish will be in the river by then but there will be some coming in. its hard to predict the situk its like some are early and some are late and there is about a week when the main run hits.
    Some years it would be slow from the 25th to the 1st or 2nd we would catch fish but not like the main run was in. When the main run hits i like to be in the lower part where it widens out and has narrow runs ive had 25 fish days there. the fish do not stay in the lower part of the river vairy long. Thats why I would float it 3 times the first to find them and so on.
    There have been years when we didnt hit the main run untill a few days before we left and i wish i had a few more days. that only happend maybe twice..
    As far as a fishing rod my old sage gfl 890 Was on every trip. I always had a spare rod just in case There was alot of bears and on some days i never seen another person but i think them days are over.. Keep us informed and take lots of pictures.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

Default Lance

Is one of the two by chance you? Beautiful.........just beautiful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    I have a good frend thats going to the situk from april 28 to the 5th of may he said he will give you a good update. I told him to take lots of pictures.... This pic is the flats lower situk 1980
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

Default ASFshrmn

Noticed your post and wanted to provide you the benenfit of what I have learned.
    Our trip starts the 26th of May. I waited that long based on the Wildlife Manager for the area indicating to me that the last 3-4 years, the Steelhead run has been 2-4 weeks late. Otherwise, we would have moved in earlier. This is KEY in a successful trip (for most) if fishing is all the trip is about. I on the other hand, have never had a bad fishing or hunting trip even when I didn't harvest/catch anything. I love the solitude and scenery.
    As to SOLO or use a guide, it depends on your outdoor savy and what you know about the Situk. I've used guides over the years for bear, moose, elk, etc. and then gone solo bow hunting being dropped off in spike camps for all of the above. The reason for our solo is #1 budget precipitated by stream constraints (70 ft wide and 3 ft deep) making it easily accessible and easy to fish. Our budget of $1,200 is eaten up mostly by plane fare; and two nights of hotel in Seattle coming in and going out. We're staying at the Raven Cabin about 3 mi downstream from 9 mi bridge. About an hours walk with 50 lb packs.
    It might be worthwhile and I've given this some thought, to engage in the services of a guide for one day to get the lay of the stream, then solo the rest of the trip.
    Hope this answers your question. If not and you want more specifics, let me know and I'll share what I have with you.

Go Sooners,
    Buck

Quote Originally Posted by AKFshrmn View Post
    I am planing a trip to the Situk for next year. Does anyone have advise on fishing on your own versus guides. I am under the impression it is hard to rent a boat anymore with the drop-off/pck-up as this cuts into the guides use-days. Any advise?
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

I fly fish; but don't know what a smolt pattern is? Can you help me out here? Thx
    Yea it looks like a little fish... Check out patterns such as Chum Baby, Thunder Creek, Sockeye Fry, Bead Chain Smolt... The list goes on, you are imitating a 2-4 inch long baitfish

As for steelhead kelts, its kinda like fishing for a rotting chum or something, not very sporting. I guess you could do it and it would probably have little effect on the population but do you really want to?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Fishing for Kelts...

Most of these fish are very suseptable to catch because they are so aggressive... I have caught three in one day on Deep Cr in May.

While many are that sporting, they are certainly better than a rotting chum. One of the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught was a steelhead kelt (runback) in Oregon... the fish had already been to the hatchery and was a real brute.

Stevesch -
    as a follow up to your comment in this thread regarding fishing the Situk in late May, please note the following from the Dept of Wildlife AK:

-----Original Message-----
    mailto:rob.bentz@alaska.gov]
    Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:34 AM
    To: Howard (Buck) Sheward
    Cc: Robert E Chadwick (Robert E Chadwick)
    Subject: RE: Situk River Update
    Howard,
    I haven't heard how the steelhead run is this year. Our area management biologist in Yakutat recently retired so I haven't heard any reports.
    Bob Chadwick might have some current news.
    Late May is not too late. Many anglers fish in late April-early May, when most of the fish haven't entered the river yet. I think it will be better in late May than late April.
    I haven't read any papers that report high hooking mortality for kelts (post spawning steelhead) anywhere. As long as you're using artificial lures I wouldn't worry.
    Have a great trip.
    Rob

thx - please post a report when you get back.

any of you fellas fish the situk around Aug-Sept for silvers? heading there this year for my first trip. Expecting to see lotsa wildlife and hopefully hooking into some nice fish still.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast