Thread: Walker's Game Ear?

Default Walker's Game Ear?

Hi,

From working on jet engines without always using proper hearing protection and from shooting, I've got upper frequency hearing loss and tinitus (permanent ringing in the ears) and don't want to lose my hearing any faster than necessary. I've got adequate hearing protection for at the range ...but what about when hunting? I want something that does not preclude wearing a hood or stocking cap or baseball type cap...

Anybody here use the Walker's Game Ear? What are your impressions ...both for the sound amplification and the hearing protection that it provides? Better to use just one and have an ear plug in the other ear? Or better to use 2, one in each ear?

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Walkers Game Ear

Brian- I also have hearing loss and tinitus in one ear due to a Louisville slugger in the side of the head.I have had this condition for about twenty years. I have two types of Walkers products. The original piece which fits behind your ear and I purchased the muffs about two years ago. I like the muffs better because they are more comfortable but will tell you that they do get in the way when I shoot. The single ear piece for me was not too comfortable and really only offered protection for the one ear. The Walker products as a whole perform as advertised. Good quality products.They now make a more fitted ear piece that is conformed for you ear.Overall- I would go with the Muffs because they offer more use- Hunting, Range, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I'd probably buy two ...one for each ear. Can't see hunting with one ear plugged up all the time!

Brian

Default game ears

I have the ears with the part that is in the ear with tubes to behind the ear. I LOVE them. I use them duck hunting not for the enhanced hearing, but for the blocking of the gunshots and still being able to hear, they are fantastic.

I've been around guns and airplanes all my life.

When I was young I could sneak up on a deer.

A few years ago I wondered why the critters were so much harder to stalk than in my youth. Then realized I could not hear my own footsteps!

I searched until I found amplified headsets. The ones I have been using are "BTG MegaEars", not Walkers, but work quite well.
    http://www.game-finder.com/mega-ears.aspx

They have mics on each side for directional hearing. They also have an audio jack so I can listen to the weather report (or monitor the FRS) while I watch for deer. Each side has a seperate volume control.

This model clips the audio level when it exceeds 92 dbs. This is very important if you intend on firing your gun while wearing the amps.
    Some models will blank the audio when it exceeds a preset level. I prefer the audio be limited (clipped) rather than blanked out. That way I can hear without missing anything.

Another positive? They keep my ears warm.

I turn the gain up until I get a slight roar of background noise. At first this is annoying but after a few minutes my brains learns to ignore the roar.
    I am waiting for a reasonably-priced set of digital headsets that will cancel the background noise completely, but in the meantime I will use my MegaEars.