Thread: CZ 550 safari mag.

Default CZ 550 safari mag.

Hello all. I've been hired to do a couple coastal hunts this spring. I normally guide interior grizzly and use a 35whelen but want to get a .375H&H for the brown bears. This question is more a gun than caliber question. What are your thoughts on the CZ 550 safari magnum? As far as quality and dependability? I have never owned a CZ (other than old czech mauser). I tried to search cz550 but came up empty

Johan, Google CZ-USA and it will take you to the CZ web site. I believe they make a great gun, but I don't see an all weather gun. There are a few offerings in the Ruger line up, and others. FYI

Everything I have heard about them is good.

They hold more than the usual three in the mag too.

But they are giant rifles way too big for me. If I got one it would be a caliber much bigger than a 375. I cant see getting that big of a rifle just to shoot a 375.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I am very happy with the quality of mine, and will buy another. I posted a review on the Shooting Forum.

I have that exact rifle and LOVE it. It is definitely heavy but the weight takes up for some recoil. Highly accurate too.

I bought mine for coastal Brown Bears too...and shot one. Bullet went all the way through the animal while 300wsm did not pass through. More than enough power...

If weight is a problem look at a different brand but you will be hard pressed to find one of superior quality.

They're heavy, that's for sure.

To clarify my post.

I dont think they are too heavy, just too large.

Rmiller as far as large do you meen it feels kind of bulky and awkward when you hold it? I realize the gun would go a over 10# with a scope, sling, and ammo. I've been spoiled with my lightweight whelen. I know how pounds can add up.

Yes, bulky and akward. The whole rifle seems to be scaled larger. I think it would be too big to fit me with a scope. Trying to shoulder one with a hunting coat on is not pretty. They remind me of shouldering a double barrel 10 guage shotgun.

The medium 550's fit me great as I frequently pick up 9.3x62's whenever I find one.

I am 5'9" 200 pounds with a 69" reach.

If they fit you they sound like a great rifle.

I like the ruger African myself. But I have no need for a 375 myself. I dont see myself going after Cape buff any time soon.

Big bores are fun though. I have owned a 375 ultra in a rem SS BDL. I also had a p-17 in a 458 win mag that weighed 8.5 pounds with a stock that fit me.