Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was wondering........

Default I was wondering........

if any of you Alaskan's used the lowly .30-.30 winchester for some of your outdoor escapades??? It would do my heart good to hear that some of you folks up there still utilize it in some way.

I know lots of folks who use it and cherish it. It's a favorite of many for work inside 150 yards on everything from blacktails to moose. It proved itself many generations ago, and all the newer calibers that have come along and found favor don't make it suddenly ineffective.

You will notice however, that most of the folks who use it are devoted hunters rather than devoted shooters. They probably don't own lots of guns and follow all the latest fads. They've been filling freezers with it for decades and spend their money on hunts rather than new guns.

The most grizzled of the bunch I know laughs hysterically at all the fluff over new guns and calibers. He says something to the effect that "If you would quit buying new guns and accessories, you'd have more money than you'd know what to do with to pay for hunts." Pretty good sense to me, though I spend lots on guns myself.

And you don't even want to think about a shooting contest with this guy. He'd be winning matches if he was willing to buy the ammo and pay the entrance fees. But he's saving for the next hunt. Shooting skill is way more important than the latest wonder gun or caliber the advertisement and sponsored magazine articles are telling you to buy.

The largest moose I ever harvested was taken with a 30-30.

When I was working in the bush almost every household had one or two 30-30s. Winchester M-94s...
    Heck,,when I was growing up here on the Sothern Kenai Peninsula, most houses had either an old M-94 in 30-30, a 300 Savage or an old Sears catalog 7mm Mauser.

I used to find a couple every week along the river bank near Fort Yukon in the early 80s. Folks would be unloading their boats after a few too many and forget their loaded rifles that were leaning against the mud bank. I would find them, spray them with WD-40 and give them back when they sobered up and noticed they were gone. I usually had 6 or 8 of them against the wall in my office. They worked just fine no matter how rusty and nasty they looked.

Black powder and Bow hunters think that all the hoop-la about magnum cartridges is pretty interesting.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Never seen one in the woods before...

Default got one and use it

I've got a mid '50s Model 94 that I still hunt with. The last thing I killed with it was a black bear a couple years ago.
    An old guy I used to hunt with killed moose with a 30-30 for at least 50 years.

To illustrate my own point about too many guns, I've got several of them. A couple of 30-30's, a 32 spec, a 32-40 and a 25-35. All but the 25-35 have whacked deer with aplomb, but nothing bigger than a single good black bear. The 25-35 is on tap to whack a deer this year, just cuzz it needs blood. All of them are dandy cast bullet guns, and one of the 30-30's has a couple of deer to its credit with my favorite 215 grain FN cast. Whapdead. About that fast. I'd still like to stick a moose with it, but that will have to wait.

Default My Mod 94 can whip it!

I've put a deer up on to his back with a single chest shot. He popped up into the air like he was going to jump up into a tree and came down in the grass...by the time I walked over to him he wasn't even twitching and had all four hooves in the air!!! I've gotta disclose, however, that he was only about 20yds away when I hit him broadside...Oh, and I was shooting a 94 in .450 Marlin--it seems to me that 325grains of LeverEvo action is the ticket...

These 94's are soooo cool 'cause they're light and just carry so darn well. With the right loads in the right caliber they can take on just about anything walking the woods...or the tall grass.

IceKing02

Default two oldies

I have my grandad's old 30-30 that was recently reworked by a buddy. Smoked a blackie with it couple years ago. Friend of mine was giving me a hard time about the stubby little thing until he saw the bear roll over from the wack. Went 20 yards after he found his feet and piled up dead at the base of a spruce. I also found a 94 rifle in 30-30 last year made in 1897 and am really wanting to get it out and blood it. Pretty good deal on that one $200.00 and a promise to love it. Nooooo problem.

The .30-30 is pretty much a staple with bushkins especially in the Interior. Nearly every boat you see on the Yukon has either a .30-30 or Mini-14 on board.
    Now what ?

30-30 Winchesters, especially thrashed ones, are big in the Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    I have my grandad's old 30-30 that was recently reworked by a buddy. Smoked a blackie with it couple years ago. Friend of mine was giving me a hard time about the stubby little thing until he saw the bear roll over from the wack. Went 20 yards after he found his feet and piled up dead at the base of a spruce. I also found a 94 rifle in 30-30 last year made in 1897 and am really wanting to get it out and blood it. Pretty good deal on that one $200.00 and a promise to love it. Nooooo problem.
    Hey, if you didn't buy that 1897 Mod '94, I will! I have one already that was made in 1898....still drives tacks!!! I have shot the LeverRevolution ammo through it, and cannot get over its' accuracy!

Let me know!

Mark

I used to carry one around before the 45 caliber Marlins were prevalent.

I hit whatever I wanted to out to 150 yards.

The only rifle I have right now is an old Marlin 30-30 passed to me by my father-in-law. I have shot mule deer dead with it. He shot many, many elk in CO over the years with it. I am looking to move up to a 30-06 here pretty soon, because I want something a little bigger, but mostly because I want something in stainless. I switched over to LeverEvo ammo last year and it is some great shooting ammo for that gun.

True story - was at a friend's last week and talking about getting a new gun. He starts going on and on about how my 30-30 is "more than enough" and since he didn't have a rifle at all at the moment, he would be happy with that. I told him to shut up several times since my wife was there. Now she keeps saying, do you really need a new gun? Mike says yours is enough.

I'm not going back to Mike's until I have a new gun.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    ........True story - was at a friend's last week and talking about getting a new gun. He starts going on and on about how my 30-30 is "more than enough" and since he didn't have a rifle at all at the moment, he would be happy with that. I told him to shut up several times since my wife was there. Now she keeps saying, do you really need a new gun? Mike says yours is enough.

I might talk to him on the phone, but I'll never bring my wife in his presence again.

Default sorry about that

The only rifle I have right now is an old Marlin 30-30 passed to me by my father-in-law. I have shot mule deer dead with it. He shot many, many elk in CO over the years with it. I am looking to move up to a 30-06 here pretty soon, because I want something a little bigger, but mostly because I want something in stainless. I switched over to LeverEvo ammo last year and it is some great shooting ammo for that gun.

True story - was at a friend's last week and talking about getting a new gun. He starts going on and on about how my 30-30 is "more than enough" and since he didn't have a rifle at all at the moment, he would be happy with that. I told him to shut up several times since my wife was there. Now she keeps saying, do you really need a new gun? Mike says yours is enough.

That sucks for you. A few years ago my wife told me that she didn't know how many guns I have, just "some short ones and some long ones." Needless to say, she should never have told me that. I now have a few more short and long ones.

Default Got Your Back...

Hey jmg, we got you covered...

You're a FAMILY MAN now, and it would be irresponsible of you to go into the Alaskan bush with a caliber that is more suited to whitetailed deer (shhhh fellas, that's not me talkin', that's a sound byte for jmg's wife). You need at LEAST a .30-06, to protect you while out in the wild, so you can better ensure a safe return home to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I might talk to him on the phone, but I'll never bring my wife in his presence again.
    Ran into him this morning at church and told him "go away, I can't play with you right now." I told him why and he laughed. He is my bowhunting partner and so he said "just tell her I have no idea what I'm talking about, I am only a bowhunter and don't even own a gun."

Went out this afternoon to buy the gun (with the wife's permission), and wouldn't ya know it . . . SW was out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    That sucks for you. A few years ago my wife told me that she didn't know how many guns I have, just "some short ones and some long ones." Needless to say, she should never have told me that. I now have a few more short and long ones.
    Haha. See, now that is how I am with fly rods. I used to build custom rods for people and so every few rods I sold, I'd get another for myself. She knows I have several of them, multiples in the same line weights even. So I could easily add a few more without it raising an eyebrow. I do tell her about all of them though and she seems fine with it. Not sure if I could just start adding gun after gun after gun though.

Default A 30-30?? are those worthless things still around???

You BET they ARE!!! always at least 3 in my rack, and always will be! I always kind of figured, the "outdoorsman/woman" that couldn't see the worth of a 30-30 probably drives a 4X4 that has never seen mud, carries a pocket knife with a serrated blade(sorry, a personal thing) doesn't eat apple pie, kicks his dog, hated his mother, and drives gun manufacturers crazy calling every other day to ask....(Is the new.663 Lightspeed-thunderclap-Quadro-Magnum out yet??? will it be available in a derringer too??? can I place my order now?? I'll pay with paypal!!!)
    I think it's safe to say, that dear old 30WCF round will still be dropping game on a regular basis LONG after all of us here, and the "here today/gone tomorrow" super-jumbo-thunder-mags have faded into the twilight of time!
    Long Live The 30-Winchester-Center-Fire!!!

Hi BrownBear:
    Would love to hear more about that 215 grain 30-30 load if you care to share.
    Thanks!
    MagLvr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast