Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on Blisters

Default More on Blisters

I know that there was recently a thread about what to do about blisters in the field, but this is slightly different. I leave for a sheep hunt in one week and I developed a pretty substantial heel blister on a hike yesterday. Since I have a week before I have to worry about strapping the boots back on again, I am contemplating taking the the layer of skin on the blister off to allow the underside to toughen up. Good idea? or would I be better off leaving it on. Home remedies and grandma's secret cures welcome.

-Carnivore

If you could keep it air to it all week I might take it off. I've also hear that duct tape can be a lifesaver although i've never tried it personally. maybe someone else can comment who has tried this?

Default cure...but worth it?

I have a cure but it is WAY painful...I know because I have used it. Take a TB or diabetic syringe with a fine needle and aspirate the blister. Then completely fill the deflated blister with Tincture of Benzoin (this is mostly methol alcohol and is used by atheletic trainers and has gone by the name of Tough Skin). When you inject the T of B into the old blister cavity it will sting, I mean REALLY STING, like on fire but apply firm compression to the blister and it will now be numb (the alc will kill the terminal nerve endings) and the top layer of skin will be stuck down for 3 to 6 weeks. I have used this on myself for blisters up to the size of a 50 cent piece....
    but it is most unconfortable. This is not for the faint of heart...but does work!

Unhappy blisters

boy shphtr, i have no doubt that works. you were right that this would not be for the faint of heart. just reading that makes me think i would rather just take the foot off at the ankle!! :-) Eric

Default Heel blisters

Anyone know of any kind of pads or inserts for heels that might mold to your foot to prevent heel blisters. Those of us with narrow heels tend to get some heel rub. I've always double layered socks to get by.

What kind of socks(liners ?) and boots are you wearing that you got blisters before your hunt. It doesn't sound good that you are getting blisters from a little hike training prior to the hunt itself? Sounds like a recipe for destruction to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
    What kind of socks(liners ?) and boots are you wearing that you got blisters before your hunt. It doesn't sound good that you are getting blisters from a little hike training prior to the hunt itself? Sounds like a recipe for destruction to me.
    Wearing smartwool socks and meindle boots.

I thoght so, I can tell you that I always wear poly liners under smart wools, thorlos and anything else when I am climbing in the mountains, it reduces the friction on your skin from the sock itself and keeps moisture off your feet. Somebody else might want to jump in here on this one and give their opinion. I was taught a long time ago when learning about mountaineering that a liner sock is a must. I too am wearing Meindls (the Alaska Hunters). A couple years ago I got a nasty blister and it was when I was chasing Caribou up on the North Slope and didn't have my liners on just the Thorlos and I will never do that again. A couple hours later I had a nasty blister, it was my own fault though as I knew better than that but didn't plan on being out that long and covering as much ground as I did,never again. Just food for thought, highly reccomend some poly pro sock liners. You should be able to put a blister pad on that blister wear the liner and a sock and be fine, many have done it.Good luck.

Default duoderm

I don't know if this will help you or not but there is a product called duoderm that comes in several different sized patches. This stuff is a closed cell dense foam approx. 1/8" thick with a very sticky back. I used it on a caribou hunt a couple years ago after blisters had developed early in the hunt, and it worked great. Once applied it won't easily peel off, if fact, it takes a lot of effort to remove. I say " I don't know if it will help you or not" because I think you can only get it at medical supply stores or hospitals, etc. If you can get ahold of some you won't be disappointed.

Default blisters

I have done the Tof B shots. It is the most intense pain I have felt. It only lasts a little while though and the benefits to your foot far outwiegh the temporary pain.

Default A less manly option

But it has worked for me on big heel blisters are the active flex bandaids I mentioned on the other thread. Just make sure you get the size made for heel blisters. They stay on for a coouple of days. If these don't work you could revert to the "most intense pain I have ever felt " method.
    Good luck,
    Dave

Default blister prevention......

....always better than treatment. As everyone knows break in your boots and in addition wear some liner socks. The theory here is that the heat of friction from hiking etc. will then be between the liner sock and the absorbent sock instead of between the skin of the foot and the single sock. Many authorities state that the heat from the friction is the primary etiologic factor in blister formation.....whatever....it works!

Default Blister care

I did a lot of reading a bit ago when my new Lowa's were blistering my narrow heels. Check out this article, it covers most techniques including the "extreme blister treatment" referenced above. http://www.gannon.edu/resource/other...oot%20Care.doc (document is okay to open)

I'm taking some TofB and a Spenco "Blister Kit" along just in case. For prevention - you may want to try a product called "Two Toms Sport Sheild" (formerly "Blister Shield"). It is a silicone-based product which has worked GREAT for me, apply just a bit on the heels before and during a long hike. Not greasy. Campmor has it for $10:

Sport Shield: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Spenco Kit: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Good Luck on the hunt. Bill

Default Insoles

I have found that the "Superfeet" brand on insoles really help anchor my narrow heels in my Meindel Canada Hunters. I think that Campmor sells them. Hot spots (or any other foot discomfort) have to be dealt with immediately even though it means stopping for a while to prep your foot for the remedy. Good Luck!

Default shphtr

well said, that was exactly what I was trying to explain to him. The friction from smart wool or thorlos to the skin of the foot without a liner sock is root cause for the blisters. Carnivore, make sure you get you some liner socks!

Default Women's nylons...seriously

Go to drugstore or walmart and buy women's calf length sheer nylons (the calf support ones are comfortable), bulk package if they have it. Put the nylons on as your a base layer. They contour to you foot and allow your socks to slide over your foot rather than stick and pull even if wet. Trick a ranger showed me once for not getting blisters in combat boots. Has never failed me on a hunt or hike.

Default Point well taken

Point well taken Alaska Cub an Alpine. I have some liners but have not worn them beyond a couple of test hikes a couple years ago. Never really had the need for them in my Danners. However, my Danners had a tough time making it through a season in sheep country. I'll be making a test hike tomorrow with the liners, but I'm going to protect the current blister with a band-aid blister block. It has dried out well, but is a place of suspect. Thanks for the input.

-Carnivore

Just keep the blister covered with the blister block and you'll be fine(those Band Aid blister blocks are awesome).You can rub the area with the strip on and you cant even feel the blister. I have a buddy that went sheep hunting a few years ago in a pair of Rocky Bearclaw boots and his feet got trashed, he had those Band Aid strips all over his feet and survived (the boots did not) Dont let it get you down, I have been there when something goes wrong right before a big adventure and it drives you batty. Kill a biggin!

Default Men's dress socks work too...

My dad taught us boys to put our sunday socks (thin black dress socks) on under our wool socks back before there were poly sock liners. I don't think it ever occured to him to buy women's nylons.
    I think he learned that in the Army. It works well, I still do it. It took my wife a while to figure out why I wear out so many dress socks.

definetly pop the blister and remove the skin so it can dry out and heal now. put moleskin on next week before you hunt because it is a problem area. good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast