Thread: Took two Swedes to the range on Sunday

Default Took two Swedes to the range on Sunday

It was 29 and sunny. Just slushy snow...with some wind...But I fnally got a chance to take out the little Swedish 1907, Model 94-14 6.5 x 55mm carbine and the 1943 Husqvarna M/38 rifle.

My first load was a full grain less than the Reliant Powder book and right even with the new Lyman Book for RL-22. (This load is well under the max CUP for the small ring Mausers)
    160 grain Hornady RN, 46.0 grains RL-22 and a Rem 9-1/2 primer. I loaded them a little shorter at 3.00 COL.
    The velocity average over the chronograph was:
    2,500 FPS for the M/38 (23.5 inch barrel)
    2,300 fps for the M/94-14. (17.5 inch barrel) Faster than Lyman book obtained.

The M/38 had a 20 fps deviation but the little M/94-14 only had a 3 fps spread.

Both rifles shot to the left. The M/38 3.5 inches left and 5.5 inches high at 100 yards using a 6 o'clock hold. The M/94 was 6 inches to the left and about 7 inches high using the same target hold.
    Both drew a lot of attention since they thought I may be practicing for the upcoming Mauser match.
    While the M/94-14 drew lots of attention, nobody thought it would shoot straight due to the short sight radius,,,,, including me.

The M/38 managed a 1.75 inch group with issue iron sights and my old eyes. (benched) Which I am more than happy with.

But the M/94-14 group of the last three shots in the box just about made me think I was seeing things.
    This is the best 100 yard open iron sight group I have ever shot.

Now I have to drift the front sights over to get dead center. I also shot some reduced loads that I made up using 140 grain Sierras. I was able to get the elevation right on at 100 yards by dropping 300 fps off the usual load's velocity. But they were still of to the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

very nice shooting

what Mauser match?

Supposedly there is a local Mauser match put on by the Kachemeak Gun Club. In April I think.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot, that is really good accuracy. Nice!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Nice

That is a nice looking battery of Swedes. Most of the Swedes I've had shoot pretty well too.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default swede at the range

GREAT GROUP, should have known you were going to use the 160. Congratulations!

FEB 2008 Precision Shooting had a great article about 6.5X55 loads and some of the rifles.