Thread: shrimp spots

Default shrimp spots

not looking for any ones honey hole, maybe just a little insight on were to go for my first opener in PWS. dont want to poach any of the regulars spots thanks again for any help. Oh and potbuilder I will try and get in contact w/ u some time this week, would love to see what your doing w/ the pots you have!

400-600' deep, near rocky drop-offs. Find a spot like this on the map and you'll likely find shrimp.

how far out do you have to run 1hr, 3hr, or more?

Default shrimpin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    400-600' deep, near rocky drop-offs. Find a spot like this on the map and you'll likely find shrimp.
    Brian is right on the depth profile and bottom structure to look for. Tyipcally, most of the shrimp catch comes from northern and northwest PWS. While that correlates with areas where there is easier access and more effort, the catches (and this is from my experience) drop off the more southward you go in the Sound (although I'm sure there may be a few other places). They (the shrimp, that is) seem to prefer the glacier-fed fjords of the N and NW areas.

I've always seen pot buoys in Passage Canal, not far from Whittier, but I've never tried there myself. There must be some shrimp there. If you have much range with your boat, I'd recommend you go out to Wells Passage and try sets northward from there.

Steep & Deep gets 'um Give me a call or email i'm in the pot barn everyday.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by sjofugal View Post
    5 minutes.

Seriously, you can get into some pretty good shrimping right outside of the harbor. We've done well right past Whittier on the same side of the bay, and also across the bay over by the beach that is covered with dead trees (past the cliffs/waterfalls).

As for run-times to other spots, I'm guessing that mine won't match yours. We cruise at 7 knots, so a 4 hour run is nothing for us!

I am running a 20 ft Shamrock Pilot house w/ keel Direct drive w/ a Chevy 350 pcm motor, cruise speed is approx 32 knots, however w/ fuel prices it might go down to 25 to 27 but thank you very much for the insight. It may be hard on the wallet to make some far runns. Gladd to here there is shrimp that close
    Last edited by sjofugal; 03-11-2008 at 23:05. Reason: bad spelling

I dropped you a line the other day regarding your pots. I would like to reconnect and talk pots. Hope to hear from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sjofugal View Post
    10 minutes from camp... Its a good spot.

P.S. If you happen to be shrimping in areas that drift gillnetters inhabit regularrly be sure to pull your gear before the openers, a few of em cut bouys on occasion.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Here if it loads

Had two files but one was to big, and I think it was the better one
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.