Thread: Whats the best .270 bullet for AK black bear

Default Whats the best .270 bullet for AK black bear

I plan on hunting black bears in SE Alaska this spring with my .270 and was wondering what would be my best bullet choice. Ive been considering the Nosler partitions, Swift a frames, and Trophy bonded bear claws.

Would I be better off maybe with something like a core-lokt.

Default whats accurate in your rifle?

Short answer would be "The premium bullet from a, b, or c company if it groups well in your rifle"

If all brands shot equally well - I'd go with a 130gr TSX from Barnes. That's just one opinion.

Good luck.

Nate

Remington factory ammo in the famous green box (core-lokt) are very inexpensive and typically very well performing bullets in every calibre I've ever used them in. Good medicine.

If you hand load you can experiment around with any of the premium bullets off the shelf. Accuracy improves when hand loading of course, but that has a lot to do with putting each cartridge together by hand in a slow, controlled process that yields better consistency than a machine spittin' 'em out quickly can achieve.

270 is a good calibre. Most black bears are taken at pretty close range when spot and stock is used. They are all over the place, even if you don't see one at the moment - so just glass at every opportunity. Easy to see - nothing is as black as a black bear and they are always moving around when they aren't sleeping. Wait until one shows up in the open where you can get onto it. Main thing with black bears when they are moving around in the brush and deadfalls of SouthEastern Alaska is that they change shape and direction like a slinky and you just have to wait until you've got a clear shot at a whole bear. If they are wounded, they can go faster than greased lightening into the brush and are darn near impossible to keep up with. Even a big black bear in Alaska really isn't very big in size when rolled up in a ball at the bottom of a ravine - hard to find.

Tommy

I'd go with the 150 grainers in one of the the bullets you mentioned (Nosler's would be my choice, Swift bullets are no slouch though), they'll thump those blackies hard if you do your part.

I would go with the above mentioned swift, barnes, noslers. I was surprised to see the core-lokt bullets mentioned. I always viewed them as a deer round, good for black tails and probably bou but not what I would want in the hole if a angry hurt bear of any flavor decided to enact its revenge on my hide! I personally run accubonds in my 325 and would feel comfortable with them on blackies and maybe even brownies but that is just cause I always hunt with a buddy that is carrying a 338 or 45-70

Don't under estimate the Core-Lokt! Seriously. They work great on soft skinned game. So do the standard Federal and Winchester loads. Hornady Interlocs are great too. In the 270, 150gr Cor-Lokts work great on black bears. And like mentioned they are affordable.

Black bear are easy to kill, no matter what the hero stories try to tell you. I'd go with whichever 150 shot best in my gun. And yes, Corelokts are dandy performers on game, in spite of what the premium companies have trained others to say. Among the brown bear guides I know using 375's, the Remington Corelokt has proven itself for decades and is still their top pick for their own rifles. Hard to argue with that much experience and success, even with today's excellent premiums. It's not fancy and it's not stylish, but it works just fine.

I have never used them on alaska game so I was speaking off the cuff after reading Remingtons info regarding them as a deer round. We shoot them often at the range in the wifes 308 but that is due to the cheaper price. I hadn't given them much thought on anything other than deer. I guess If I was deer hunting in the southeast with them and had an opportunity on a blackie then perhaps my reservations wouldn't be founded. Will they hold together if you hit bone? I still like the partitions and my go to is the Barnes bullets but maybe I will lend a little more credence to those green boxes in the future.

I'd pick the best shooting 150 gr super bullet. Not because you need it to thump a black bear, but because you don't know what else you may run into out there.
    Now what ?

150 grain Nosler Partition works very well for me but like stevelyn said, use the best heavy bullet that shoots well out of your rifle.

TSX all the way.

Default the one that hits where you are aiming

ive seen bears killed with darn near everything......its more about where you shoot it rather than what you shoot it with......id go for the best combo of weight and accuracy that YOU can shoot out of YOUR gun
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default 150 Noslers have worked for me

Don't know about Black bear, but I have shot/killed two moose with the 150 grain nosler's from federal premium. One shot broke the front leg/shoulder in two. Maybe this helps. Happy hunting.

I killed a blackie last year with my .308 using Winchester 150gr. XP3s