Thread: How wide is the Bridge Crossing?

Default How wide is the Bridge Crossing?

Several years ago (mid 90's) I went on an ATV ride with some military buddies. We crossed a river on a bridge that had a side area for ATV's. I think it is the Ferry Trail System but am not sure. I want to return this summer in late May or 1st of June with my two sons and do a ride/camping trip with them. My question concerns the width of the bridge access, as I remember it had steel rails on each side. I'm sure my newer ATV's are wider then the old 94 Kodiac I was on then. I did a Ferry Trail System search but didn't find anything. Who knows the width of this bridge crossing. Please don't guess - I really need the correct measurement if you know it. Also what is the mile marker on the highway to turn for parking? Thanks.

Do a search on the atv part here. It has been discussed with the measurements listed.
    Most 500 and bigger atvs will not fit with aftermarket wheels and tires. I tried to draw my wheels together with a strap (decompress suspension) last year and my Rincon with ITP wheels would NOT fit. Bummer was I knew to bring my stock wheels and didn't.

search "ferry" in atv--
    look at 11/14/07
    9/17/07
    9/13/07
    8/22/07
    and keep looking. It's in there somewhere.
    Ben

I think it is 44 inches wide. My Grizzly with mud lites won't fit.

Default Walkway

If you type "walkway" in the little search engine box it'll get you some info. Or, try the this hpperlink: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...way#post144580
    Ken

My Kingquad with mudlites fit, but I had to spay the tires with white grease. It was a tight sqeeeeeeze but it made it thru. No problem with my 400 with stock tires.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaKodiak View Post
    I think it is 44 inches wide. My Grizzly with mud lites won't fit.
    I have 45.5" in my notes. My '07 Grizz with mud lites fits but pretty snug.
    EricL

I put the tape on my Kingquad and it is 48 inches unloaded. I would say that it was 48 inches to start with. But it is bend like s snake and was a couple of tight spots that are close to 45 or 46 inches. My best guess, I know for sure that I had mine over it twice and it did fit. Not something you like to do several times for sure.

Steve

According to my friend that is a bridge inspector for the Alaska Railroad and also owns the local Arctic Cat dealership.... Both the Talkeetna River bridge and the Ferry bridge walkways are 46 1/2" wide. At that width you will rub the entire way across. Neither of my 500 Cats, even with stock rims, will make it across the Talkeetna bridge.

Thumbs up ferry bridge width

The walkway along the side of the ferry bridge is 45 1/2" wide with a few spots that measure 45 1/4". That width is from the top of the hand rail to the deck with 1/8" x 4" wide steel safety/retainer strips between the hand rail & deck,the lenght of the walkway. Basically you need old or small machines.

Seems like I rad somewhere that people were using ratchet straps between the lower A-arms then lifting the machine and tightening the strap to basically lock the suspension at full droop. Not sure if it works in application just something I remember reading about...

Default I Made Mine Fit!!!

Well, not gonna say what I ride, for everybody and their uncle with the same machine will be in there...but my 700 class, with aftermarket tires, and fender extensions, squeezed its way across...just stay on the gas and ya won't get stuck!! Glad I tried, cuz the moose sure is tender!!!
    J

Default 08 Grizzly w/ 26" Mudlights on Stock Rims

Mine fit through. Rubs a little when you have two people on, but other than that it was ok. If it is the Talkeetna Railroad bridges that we are talking about. You can feel it tighen up a little when you come to the bridge support beams though