Thread: Smoking fish in smoker...

Default Smoking fish in smoker...

Hey guys, I've got me a nicer smoker that I use for making jerky but I want to try it on some fish-- halibut and wally. Any advise on smoking fish?

Thanks.

Default The toughest thing

I've found with smoking fish is getting them buggers lit

The second toughest thing is to know which end to draw on

Kidding, I'm gonna try some this weekend for the first time so I'm lookin for info too

I did a search and found a few links on this but nothing that gives the basics... Will the salmon and other fish recipes work on trout and wally?

Yah, Packer it will work for all sorts of fish.

I like a cup of salt in about 2 gallon of water. Some like more some less, but I do it by feel. Then a little bit of garlic, and some soy sauce. For me that's it.

Then cut up fish in portions, brine for about 10 hours. (maybe less with the fish you'd be doing as I have a feeling walleye would brine up fast).

Then set out and let dry to get the "skin" on the portions. (by that I mean a fairly dry, tacky layer on the outside of the portion)

Then smoke them until done. Done depends on what type of product you want to make.
    For later canning ONLY SMOKE THE FISH FOR ONE HOUR. As the pressure cooker will further cook the fish.
    For freezing........well light enough for you to like the texture.
    For fish jerky.........a long time until jerky like.

All in all I have tried different stuff with doing fish I've come to believe the simpler you do it the better it is. JMO.

Hope this helps.

That one looks great thank you! How much soy would you add to the 2 gallons? How much garlic? What temp should I set the cooker at? Thanks again.

A pinch of garlic maybe a teaspoon. And about 2 tablespoons of the soy.

I have found that overdoing the fish ruins it.

I use the big Chief smoker so I don't know what temp to set it at. The Big Chief you just plug in, and then put in wood chips. The booklet that comes with it gives times to smoke different things.....that being said I do it by feel as the outside temp has more to do with how long you smoke more than anything.

You've been a huge help. I will give it a try, I may even experiment with some brown sugar mixed in-- ever tried that?

Yes, and it is good. I went through a couple different concoctions and settled for a simple brine. Brown suger does make it taste kinda teryaki though and I like it. Just go easy on it at first and then tighten up the amount that you find works best for you.
    That in a nutshell is how I smoke everything. I just go simple and add little bits of stuff here and there. I smoke it for not a set amount of time, but until I think it's done. (with some pick-it-off-the-smoker-racks taste tests.)

Also if you really want to get crazy, try doing the brine as normal, but only smoke the fish for ONE HOUR, then can it in a pressure cooker. I get great smoked salmon and smelt that way......and it keeps well, and free's up freezer space (as I always vacuum pack my regular smoked fish).

There are tons of ways to smoke fish. Sometimes I add jalapenos to my mix. Really depends on your tastes.

Ok heres mine. Inch wide strips back to belly. Score theskin every 1/2 inch. Put in brine, mine is 1 cup salt, one cup water. (you can tweak it) Since mine is saltier I only leave in brine for 2 1/2 hours. Place on cooling rack with fan on it until it is glazed.

Then I put soy sauce an brown sugar in a pan on the stove. Sometimes I add cayenne pepper (all to your tastes) Cook it until it is thick, I mean think to coat back of spoon thick.

I then get a paint brush and literally paint the sauce on the fish. I use a mixture of Hickory and sometimes applewood (again, experiment with it and find your own thing)

Then it just depends how you like the fish, jerky, kinda cooked, etc. to know how long to keep in smoker. Mine is done by feel and look, can't really say 2 hours, etc.

I use a big Chief smoker. Have done everything from ham to turkey legs to sausage in it.

Hope this helps you some

J

Wldboar, when you add the jalapenos how and when do they get added, do you dice them up or what?

Akbrownfan, have you ever added any of that liquid smoke to your brine? I picked some up at sportsman Warehouse to use on deer jerky, I may try it with the fish as well.

I like Wildboars recipe too. My dad in Ohio uses liquid smoke as he smokes his in the oven! I find the taste of it is really strong. I just use apple wood. (from the bag).

I dice them up. I use seeds and all. Kinda hot but yeah, if you like it, its all good. Hotest part of jalapeno is in the seeds and veins. Put them in when you cook the soy sauce and brown sugar. That way they coat and stick to the fish when you smoke it and mix in real good with the sauce.

I don't believe in liquid smoke. If you have enough heat and moisture, your smoker will smoke and you won't need it. But just do a few batches and see what you like.

You can make one rack one way, 2nd with another, etc. That way you have a variety and won't waste all your fish on a recipe you might not like.

Let me know when you are doing,would love to be an official taste tester

Jeanette

Well I will try both of these recipes, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

How long will smoked fish stay good when vacuum sealed and frozen?

Jeanette, I notice you have a boxer under your name, are you a fan of the boxer dog? I have always loved that breed, very easy dogs to be around.

I always do a big batch before summer and I must admit, I can't answer the question of how long it lasts in freezer. Mine doesn't last through the summer. I live on that stuff when fishing and camping.

That is my dog Honey. She is 3. They are wonderful dogs. Great with my son. You would think they were brother and sister!!! Fight over who get's attention, 1st one up the stairs, etc. A very people person dog.

J

Ok guys (and gal) I tried out both of these recipes and they turned out great. Next time I will try a fruit wood rather than the alder I used, it was a tad strong. man, this stuff tastes great though!

Glad you liked the recipe. We must be thinking along the same line. Just took fish out this morning to prep to smoke this week. Told you applewood and hickory

Jeanette

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    A pinch of garlic maybe a teaspoon. And about 2 tablespoons of the soy.

I have found that overdoing the fish ruins it.

I use the big Chief smoker so I don't know what temp to set it at. The Big Chief you just plug in, and then put in wood chips. The booklet that comes with it gives times to smoke different things.....that being said I do it by feel as the outside temp has more to do with how long you smoke more than anything.
    The Little or Big Chief smokers sometimes keep the temperatures in a bad bacteria-growing temperature range if it's not warm enough outside. I can't remember the numbers offhand, but I know it has to be 65 F or warmer for mine to be as warm as Luhr Jenson says it should be ...Obviously if you are brining with salt/sugar, it reduces the risk and that's one of the reasons for the brine. But if you are brining super lightly, then I'd do something to make sure the smoker runs hot enough ... and yes, I know all about cold smoking, but cold smoking should use a strong enough brine to hedge your bets as well. Ever since I discovered the temperature issue, I've been more careful (although I never got sick from anything) and I put insulator board around the smoker now. I bought the 2" thick foil-backed board that was already cut into 24" wide pieces and just duct-taped it into a 4-sided enclosure. I set a shorter piece on the top to act as a lid (with a corner kept open of course.) This setup also works as a good wind break. I use it around my Brinkman water smoker when the temps are down as well. Now things cook and smoke in the amount of time the books say it should...

Just my 2-bits...

Brian

I have used all kinds of wood for smoking salmon. Alder is far and away my preferred wood. Smoke is a very complex compound. I have found that alder will not get bitter such as cherry. I suggest, if your product has an overwhelming smoke, that you smoke for a shorter time and/or that you use a drier wood. If you are using chips I suspect you smoked it for too long. Additionally, if there are black spots on your fish, it is wet smoke dripping off the racks and onto the fish that is lower. These spots are super concentrated smoke and are REALLY nasty on the tongue. When the spots form in my cold smoker it is because of condensation that forms on the racks when smoking in colder tempratures. I use the smoke as a condiment rather than a preservative.
    Pete

I use fresh maple chips and smoke for a few hours at 190 degrees.

Default The "danger zone"

The Little or Big Chief smokers sometimes keep the temperatures in a bad bacteria-growing temperature range if it's not warm enough outside. I can't remember the numbers offhand,
    The temperature range you are referring to is 40 degrees to 140 degrees, referred to in food safety circles as the "Danger Zone".
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com