Thread: Swan Lake canoe system...

Default Swan Lake canoe system...

Has anyone fished these lakes?

How is the trout fishing?

I'm thinking of doing a 3-day trip in mid to late May.

Would love to hear your thoughts / experiences.

Gracias!

Are you talking about the canoe system in sterling?

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine View Post
    Are you talking about the canoe system in sterling?

Yep, that's the one!

Default swanson

I have fished them a few times have done best with mosquito patterns or leaches small vibrax or mepps work as well. Have always done best early morning or late evening. There are some big rainbows in some of those lakes. A few lakes are so clear you can see to the bottom and there are some giant fish down there a little tough to get them to bite but the fishing is pretty hot throughout the system. Bring lots of bug dope and even head nets the bugs can be horrible back in there.

There is some realy good trout fishing in a lot of those lakes. My group had the most sucess with eggsucking leaches and blue nuns. But in general the fishing was realy good so any thing you would normally use for trout was working.
    There are a few lakes that don't have any trout in them but the rest are pretty good.

I ice fished some of the lakes this year, lot's of action but I never could connect with any big fish.

I have only been there once, in mid-September, but the fishing was excellent. We just slow trolled a green and white Needlefish spoon, and connected on several trout, one was about 18". I sure hope to go back sometime soon. I'm sure with a more focused approach than I used at the time, you could get some fabulous fishing.
    I believe the best lake was Marten Lake.
    If you don't already have it, the book "The Kenai Canoe Trails" by Daniel Quick is a must have.
    Last edited by Wes Walker; 03-11-2008 at 15:30. Reason: grammar

Thanks for the info guys....much appreciated!

I also picked up a copy of Daniel Quick's "The Kenai Canoe Trails."

I just hope that the lakes will be ice-free in mid May and the bite is on!

I've taken several journeys on these canoe trails... I usually do the route that winds up at Gavia Lake, then come back. The fishing is better on some lakes than others, and the size of the lake doesn't necessarily signify the presence or lack of fish - you just have to experiment. I always seem to have my best luck trolling my fly or spinner behind the boat in medium/deep water. You can also catch fish around weeds and lilly pads, but they're usually the little fellas. The bigger fish are usually in the deeper water.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

boy if you want a partner let me know. I also have the book and being a minnesotan been hankering to do the swanson trip. Just sprayed the final coat of varnish on a strip canoe last nite. she's a bit small for an extended trip of maybe a couple of weeks or so but definatly big enough for a week. I may guide again this summer, still unsure, if I dont I'm game.

Thanks again for all the info...much appreciated!