Thread: reciever sights

Default reciever sights

I'm looking at buying a reciever sight for a 9422M. I'm looking at a Lyman or a Williams, and beyond that, whether I should drill and tap for the traditional side mounted reciever sight or try one of those sights that fit in the grooves on top of the reciever. Anyone ever used one of these? Thanks for any input.

If your 9422 is in good shape (and you intend to keep it that way) dont drill and tap. The dovetail sights work fine, although I prefer the receiver one!

bobblehead, I too have one of these nice little leverguns and they shoot pretty good as is. On the other hand if you can find a Lyman then I would opt for that and not the aluminum Williams. Lymans are built with steel.

just my .02

Default Steel versus aluminum

Lyman sights are aluminum as well. I don't know exactly how long it has been since they were steel but its been awhile. I like the looks of the Lyman better (it does look like steel) but the Williams is more rugged (in my opinion), the bridge is thicker. I did bend a Lyman sight, crushed it down against the receiver. I dont even know how it happened. For most people it probably does not matter, I tend to be hard on stuff.
    The Williams FP-GR that slides on the groove is a good set up but the adjustments are not as easy as a side mount receiver sight. If you are not going to change ammo or make adjustments on a regular basis I think it would be a good choice. Its cheaper as well if it makes a difference.

What about a Lyman peep mounted on the tang? I am ordering one tomm for my lever 44 mag.

I think I would go with the peep mounted on the tang first choice, on the dovetails on top second. Please DON'T drill and tap the side of the receiver, absolutely ruins the looks and really devalues any gun. How many old gun values were ruined by drilling/tapping into the sides????

A bud put one of these. It's a dandy setup.

Default dovetail

I've got a 9422 that I bought new over 20 years ago. I still use the factory sight, and I've never felt the need to change it. If I did, I'd go with the dovetail, though. I'd hate to drill and tap it if I didn't have to. I do have a Williams peep on my 30-30, and I've been completely satisfied with it.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a Williams on my 94BB 375 and it works great. I dont especially care for the looks of the thing though, and it kind of feels chuncky when you cary it by the reciever. If it wasnt for the fact that it actually seemed to impove my accuracy with the rifle, I would probably take it off and put the standard sights back on. That being said, I guess you should do as you see fit. Even if you drill the reciever, provided of course that a good quality job was done, you can always plug the holes if you decide to remove the sight. I personaly have no problem buying guns with drilled recievers, provided that a high quality job was done, but if you got one that is swis cheesed all to pieces to mount 3 or 4 different types of mounts over the years, well then that is a different story.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

AKlefty, all of my Lymans&Redfields are old and either for Mausers&Enfields and have one for a Winchester and are steel, my mistake in thinking of late they are. I did have a Williams on my sons Mk II .308 and the bridge did bend from one of his youthful escapades-as it goes.

I too still have the original on the 9422 and would not opt for drilling either-peeps are a good sight nonetheless.