Thread: Other Options?

Default Other Options?

I have been eyeing this scope for a light weight rifle.

Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralight Matte LR Duplex 63080
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...mm-ultralight/

It wieghs just under 9oz and is the right combination of lightweight, power, and objective for me.

It costs around $360 or so depending on where one can find it.

My question is:

What other scopes in this price range, duplex style, power, and weight should I check out? I have used a variety of scope brands over the years so I am not stuck on any one brand. The draw to this scope is based on Leupold's rep and the combination of price and features. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I just went through the process of buying a scope for my lt. wt. long action .300. Two things concerned me about the 3x9UL scope. One was the lack of decent eye relief on the low end,only 3" at 9X. The other concern was that getting on target quickly with these scopes was a problem supposedly due to a narrow eyebox(for lack of a better word). As I couldn't locate a UL to check out,I could only ask for experiences/advice on the web like you. I ended up with a VXlll 1.75-6x32 w/hvy plex(needed decent low light performance over high power).
    What cartridge/action length are you using? If it's a short action you might consider a VXll 2-7x33. A long action would require extension stuff as tube length is only 5.1" compared to 5.5" on the 3x9UL. Eye relief is 3.8"@7X and 4.9"@3X. It weighs only 1.5oz more. You can get the LR reticle. Quick target acquisition is good(I did have access to one to check out). Price might not concern you,but I only paid $375 for my VXlll,so the 2x7 VXll should be a good bit cheaper. Only other option I can think of is the 2.5-8x36 VXlll but it to may require extension bases/rings.

til later

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    I just went through the process of buying a scope for my lt. wt. long action .300. Two things concerned me about the 3x9UL scope. One was the lack of decent eye relief on the low end,only 3" at 9X. The other concern was that getting on target quickly with these scopes was a problem supposedly due to a narrow eyebox(for lack of a better word). As I couldn't locate a UL to check out,I could only ask for experiences/advice on the web like you. I ended up with a VXlll 1.75-6x32 w/hvy plex(needed decent low light performance over high power).
    What cartridge/action length are you using? If it's a short action you might consider a VXll 2-7x33. A long action would require extension stuff as tube length is only 5.1" compared to 5.5" on the 3x9UL. Eye relief is 3.8"@7X and 4.9"@3X. It weighs only 1.5oz more. You can get the LR reticle. Quick target acquisition is good(I did have access to one to check out). Price might not concern you,but I only paid $375 for my VXlll,so the 2x7 VXll should be a good bit cheaper. Only other option I can think of is the 2.5-8x36 VXlll but it to may require extension bases/rings.

til later
    I am looking at a SA, 2 calibers on my short list... : )

Thanks for the info....

VX-III 2.5-8x36 is a good one to look at, I think it weighs 11oz but it covers you in many ways, yet provides a bunch of eye relief, a huge eye box, and quick target acquisition.

I bought another VX-II 3X9X40 for my Tikka 300 WM due to the simple fact that I have the exact same scope on my .338 WM Ruger. Also because it was another sweet deal on the swap & sell forum I couldn't pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    VX-III 2.5-8x36 is a good one to look at, I think it weighs 11oz but it covers you in many ways, yet provides a bunch of eye relief, a huge eye box, and quick target acquisition.
    Thanks! Seems like no one is arguing with Leupold as a choice so that is good! : )

Default Nikon

You might look at a Nikon Monarch in 3X9X40. I like mine is better than the VX III 3.5X10X40(?) that came with my 375 H&H. I think that Nikon is the best glass for the money.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Thanks! Seems like no one is arguing with Leupold as a choice so that is good! : )

Leupold doesn't have the best glass IMO, but they have features such as LER (long eye relief) , and huge eyeboxes that make eye placement less critical.