Thread: Haul Road Caribou, 8mm Mauser

Default Haul Road Caribou, 8mm Mauser

Also heading for Haul road with a sled and skis in late March, and wondering many things. Have an 8mm Mauser with a 3x9, and sighting in with 170 grain win. power point from the sportsmans. Only round I can find local for this newly acquired rifle. Brother in law thinks might better go with a nosler partition, but they are spendier, and I don't want to get dialed in on the cheap stuff and then have to switch and zero on three rounds of those buggers. Any concerns about caribou dropping at 200 yards with that round? Never shot one, but after my first moose I'm through with underestimating Alaska's big game! Also, for bigdaddy, saw you were leaving north slope on 3/27, I'm coming up on 3/29, and would really appreciate a weather/herd report if you think of it. and oh BTW, I've got a diesel, and I'm a bit concerned about gettin' started again up there in a cold snap. As I said, I'm wondering many things. Advice, comments, past experiences requested and appreciated.

The 8mm mauser will work at 200 yards with the power point. Caribou are relatively thin skinned and not that hard to take down as long as you do your part.

That bullet is just fine for caribou.

If you did get a box of the Noslers it should only take 3 shots to get dialed in after the cheap stuff and you would likely be set for a while from one box of noslers. Just keep practicing with the cheap stuff.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Sweet pics, were you able to get that wolf

He was in the corridor, and me with only a rifle. It was great just to see him for this Montanan. Would have been a hometown hero if I got him