Thread: Plumbing rise through the crawl space in to the cabin

Default Plumbing rise through the crawl space in to the cabin

I'm getting close to this stage on my cabin.

Any ideas on how to run the plumbing (supply and waste) from below grade up in to the cabin to prevent freezing?

My crawl space is 4' tall and will be enclosed / insulated before the fall and the water will not be connected until after the last freeze this spring.

Should I just stick with the heat tape route and / or?????

Thanks!

Ken

With my house I went the heat tape route on the supply and I just wrapped the waste line with that mylar bubble wrap, down about 3' below grade. Also I did not run my pipes up thru the walls, they all go thru the floor up into the cabinets. Hope this helps
    Last edited by profishguide; 03-10-2008 at 22:23. Reason: added
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Hello Ken, Build A 2'' Thick Blue Board Chase Around The Pipes And Then Plywood Over That..make Sure You Have The Water Suppy Heat Traced And Armour Flexed..i Know It Sounds Overkill But I Do This For A Living In The Winter.....hope This Helps

Default Source for the armor flex???

I looked around a couple of places for the armor flex and haven't found it yet.

Where can I get it locally?

I found it online, but with shipping and it being a "custom" length for what I need, it's kind of pricey.

Armourflex can almost be concidered a generic term for high-density foam pipe insulation. It can be any brand, most are made of the same stuff. It comes in anything from 6-10ft lengths or longer.

Try Central Plumbing/ Heatland on Int'l Airport Rd --they're bound to have alot. But I would think you could get it at Spenard Bldrs, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I prefer the smaller, locally owned businesses, but hey-- sometimes money talks on these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Armourflex can almost be concidered a generic term for high-density foam pipe insulation. It can be any brand, most are made of the same stuff. It comes in anything from 6-10ft lengths or longer.

Try Central Plumbing/ Heatland on Int'l Airport Rd --they're bound to have alot. But I would think you could get it at Spenard Bldrs, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I prefer the smaller, locally owned businesses, but hey-- sometimes money talks on these issues.
    I totally misunderstood that. I thought he meant the Armorflex steel flue liner to make a "chase" inside the framed chase for the plumbing rise with the heat taped, isulated pipe run inside (with additional insulation between the chases).

Guess I was really thinking overkill.

Spiral Wrap The Heat Trace Wire Around The Pipe..it Should Be Spaced A Couple Of Inches Apart And Not Touching The Wire Itself..take Fireproof Electrical Tape And Use That To Keep The Cable Snug To The Pipe..you Will Want An Outlet In The Pressure Tank Room To Plug The Heat Trace Into...do Not Use A Extention Cord..put The Armour Flex On The Pipe If Its 3/4 Pipe You Will Want To Go A 1/2 Size Bigger..make Sure You Duct Tape The Seams This Will Keep Cold Air From Coming In..then Build A 2 Thick Blueboard Box And Seal The Seams With Spray Foam..this Should Do It..if You Have Any More Questions Pm Me I Am Glad To Help..jim

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    Spiral Wrap The Heat Trace Wire Around The Pipe..it Should Be Spaced A Couple Of Inches Apart And Not Touching The Wire Itself..take Fireproof Electrical Tape And Use That To Keep The Cable Snug To The Pipe..you Will Want An Outlet In The Pressure Tank Room To Plug The Heat Trace Into...do Not Use A Extention Cord..put The Armour Flex On The Pipe If Its 3/4 Pipe You Will Want To Go A 1/2 Size Bigger..make Sure You Duct Tape The Seams This Will Keep Cold Air From Coming In..then Build A 2 Thick Blueboard Box And Seal The Seams With Spray Foam..this Should Do It..if You Have Any More Questions Pm Me I Am Glad To Help..jim

I wasn't sure if I understood what you meant by armorflex in the first post, so I made the mistake of googling the term armorflex, and found that armorflex is an extremely popular name that manufacturers give their products. There is armorflex pipe insulation, armorflex cement blocks, armorflex flue liner, armorflex matting, etc....... Then there's variations on the name armorflex, armaflex, armor-flex, armor flex, etc....

Who'd have thought a name could be the product name for so many different products?

Then, after seeing Mr. Bill's post, I found the armaflex website and pipe insulation specs online and realized that's what the two of you were talking about.

Thank you Jim, I appreciate the information. Oh, and thanks Mr. Bill too.