Thread: Little Su?

Default Little Su?

Would a 16ft semi v hull aluminum boat powered by a 25 hrs prop be suitable for the little su launching out of the public use facility?

Default absolutely!

I have run the river from the launch to the inlet, and up as far as I could go with a prop many a time in that same set up.

Will you hit bottom from time to time depending on water conditions? Sure, but that boat is ideal for the Little Su.

Some guys think they need a 24' Thunder Jet on the little Su to be real men..... Just goes to show that having credit or a check book don't mean you have common sence.

Take a spare prop and have a blast.

You'll do much better downstream from the launch. At some times, upriver travel from the launch can be marginal at best from the landing.

Tom

Default excellent

Thanks so much. I was out there last year for the king opener without a boat. My girlfriend and I roughed it and hiked each day a couple miles down the bank. We loved it and each managed to land one beautiful king each on our four day weekend, but since then I have purchased the afore mentioned boat and am hoping to be out there again this year with it. But I only remembered seeing flat bottoms at the launch.

I was a little disappointed by the lack of snowfall this winter and getting to play in that, but now all the snow is gone from my boat and yard and I have been cleaning reels and organizing tackle boxes. I am getting excited.

Thanks again for the reassurance!

I have run the Little Su for years with a 16' semi V with a 25 hp prop. We have always had a good time, switched to a jet 2 years ago (25hp powerhead - 18hp at the jet) and couldnt be happier. Have used everything from swivels-zipper pulls-16 penny nails for shear pins and finaly got tired of changing pins and props. Cresent Hills is right on about upstream, only go there with very high water and a good knowledge of the water. The Little Su is one of my favorite rivers to fish or just camp with the family. Enjoy. CN

Default how about 15hp

How about a 14ft mirrorcraft w/15 hp?

Does a 20 Weldcraft qualify for more money than brains also?

Default Depends on the driver I suppose

A over powered jon boat with a screwball at the controls is bad news too!

I think you know the point I was making about big boats on small water. If you have ran the Little Su in your weld craft, you no doubt have encountered on of these large fast boats that greatly increase the danger level on that twisty STREAM.

Tom

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default 14 foot smokercraft alaskan

with a 30 mariner. man that was fun on the little su. i have a larger boat now and only time im on the little su now is during moose hunting and i only go down river. coming around some of them hairpins i dont get to leave much room for other boats so yea there is a point to the size of boat that should be running this river during the peak fishing season. use to run across the inlet and fish the lower end but the inlet gods usually get pretty crabby on a daily basis and i dont do the inlet anymore when im on any kind of schedule. on your way down take the channel to the right where the island is and hug the oppisite bank of the island as close as you can to the cut bank. the river gets deeper the farther you go down. just stay on your outside corners and watch for other boats and you should be fine.

I have not and do not intend to run the little su with my 20' 350 chevy marine powered boat. I just get a ticked off when the row boat jockey keeps telling me I cant or shouldn't run my boat some place. I have ran a 14' with a 20hp merc and have had the hell scared out of me with big jets, but 95% of the time all has been fine. Soap box has been put away and now back to topic at hand.

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks to all of you. I think I can feel comfortable trailering my boat to and launching from the little su public use facility now. I will definitely watch out for bigger boats and sounds like a little common sense can go a long way on that river just like any other.

Looking forward to wetting some line soon.

Good luck to all!