Thread: Kenai Open - Please Interpret Order?

Default Kenai Open - Please Interpret Order?

I was going through the fishing emergency orders to see how the dipnetting would be on the Kasilof tomorrow. I checked the commercial orders and just came across this order. It seems like maybe they are saying the in-river escapement will be ok, so they are opening the area back up for commercial boats? Somebody please take a look at this and let me know what this means. I am not sure where the northern district and central district is, as said in the order, so though maybe someone here would know.

My basic question is this - will there be commercial boats at the mouth of the Kasilof river on Monday, 7/31? Beyond that, I'll let everybody argue about whether they should open up commercial boats before letting dipnetters back on, etc. Of course, I could be totally wrong about all of this too, so please let me know. Thanks.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...ies=400&num=31

Smile answer to your question.

The commercial fleet will fish in the traditional areas from what I can see. The Kasilof Terminal area was not opened for Monday so the fleet and set nets should be further offshore. The sport and PU fishery opens on the Kenai along with the educatiional fishery. The bag and possession limit is 3 on the Kenai sport fishery. The PU fishery is only open for one day unless the Commssioner of ADF&G decides to extend it.

Nerka - I apologize for my ignorance, but I have only been down to the Kasilof one time. What are the "traditional" areas? The only time I was there, the boats were all at the mouth, and the river was pretty much clogged, with barely any fish coming in. I was thinking of going down to dip either the Kenai or Kasilof on Monday. Are the "traditional" areas you mention at the mouth of the rivers so that no fish will be getting in?