Thread: need help finding a decent hunting scope

Default need help finding a decent hunting scope

it's my father in-laws birthday soon and i hear he needs a new scope for his .270
    he hunts for moose, caribou, bear and pretty much anything he can see.
    i really dont want to spend too much, anybody have any ideas.
    my father in-law hunts by boat, snowmachine, 4-wheeler in temps ranging from 50 below to 90 above Fahrenheit
    any advise would be appreciated.
    thanks

Define "too much". What is your ballpark price range? Some will give you suggestions for $600 scopes, thinking that $1000 is usually a reasonable price for optics. I'm more of the $150-300 kind of guy, but again...it all comes down to your price range.

Default 4X Leupold

I don't know where you live but Steve Smyth at Great Guns in Fairbanks has
    4X Leupold scopes for about 250 dollars new.

That is a great dependable scope that will do it all and not fail.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Define "too much". What is your ballpark price range? Some will give you suggestions for $600 scopes, thinking that $1000 is usually a reasonable price for optics. I'm more of the $150-300 kind of guy, but again...it all comes down to your price range.

yeah, $150-300 sounds reasonable to me, as long as it can handle alaska! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I don't know where you live but Steve Smyth at Great Guns in Fairbanks has
    4X Leupold scopes for about 250 dollars new.

That is a great dependable scope that will do it all and not fail.

Sincerely,

Thomas
    i'm in anchorage, but this will give me a good place to start. appreciate the response!

I usually hit flea-bay. I've picked up leupy vxII 2x7 for around $130 before (that one was actually in good shape), 1x4's for around the $200 mark.

For the .270, I'd go with a good 2x7.

Talking Scope for 270

Head to Sportsmans and get that Burris Fullfield 3X9X40 and free Etrex GPS combo for $239.00... They'll both handle Alaska just fine and the 3X9 will fit nicely on the ol' man's 270. I've used Burris for over 18 years up here and have no regrets or complaints. Personally, I can't see ANY difference between them and the Leupolds other than the Leupold's outrageous pricing. Plus, a free GPS, that's even better...

Thumbs up Burris

I have Burris scopes on a 300 Weatherby and a 50 BMG. They are awesome. The Garmin gps and scope combo mentioned above is a great deal. I think you can find that deal online at Cabelas too. Take a look below. The Burris Fullfield comes in many variations. It is a good choice in the price range you mentioned. Got a little more to spend, the Burris Signature is bad *****. I have one on a 300 Weatherby for 7 years now. Great scope. Got more money, look at the Burris Black Diamond line. Got one on an Armalite 50 BMG. It is in a class of its own.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...448&t=11082005

Below is a link to Cabelas. They have a Burris Fullfield with Garmin gps on sale for $209!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...563&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Leupold 2x7x28 ultralight

I have a leupold VXII 2x7x28mm ultralight NIB for $300. This would be the perfect fit for the 270, to keep it light, and great quality and unsurpassed waranty. Let me know if you are interested as I am in Kenai and have friends and/or family coming up weekly.
    Tony
    252-4929