Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmiths in Fairbanks Who Finish/Blue Rifles

Default Gunsmiths in Fairbanks Who Finish/Blue Rifles

I have a chromoly action in the white that I'd like to have coated with a rust/weather resistant coating. Anyone have any recommendations for a smith in Fairbanks who coats? I know Arctic Gun Works does Arctic Kote. Any opinions on the different coats?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I have a chromoly action in the white that I'd like to have coated with a rust/weather resistant coating. Anyone have any recommendations for a smith in Fairbanks who coats? I know Arctic Gun Works does Arctic Kote. Any opinions on the different coats?

Ken Corcoran does parkerizing.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on the price? I'll give him a call; I know I saw his number under my Arctic Gun Works thread.

Your options rated in terms of durability and corrosion protection are as follows, rated best to worst:

1. Nitride or Hard chrome or Cera Kote...of the three I prefer Nitride
    2. Black Chrome
    3. Professionally Applied Teflon (like Bear Kote, Wilson Tuff Kote or suchlike)
    4. Parkerizing
    5. High Polish Blue
    6. Matte Blue
    7. Home coatings

Any good nitride, chrome, cera kote or teflon are done in the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Your options rated in terms of durability and corrosion protection are as follows, rated best to worst:

1. Nitride or Hard chrome or Cera Kote...of the three I prefer Nitride
    2. Black Chrome
    3. Professionally Applied Teflon (like Bear Kote, Wilson Tuff Kote or suchlike)
    4. Parkerizing
    5. High Polish Blue
    6. Matte Blue
    7. Home coatings

Any good nitride, chrome, cera kote or teflon are done in the lower 48.
    Do you know of anyone in Fairbanks who does these?

I'm not aware of anyone in Fairbanks that does Cera Kote. I just had a rifle done by someone in California, turnaround time was about 2 weeks. $175 plus shipping both ways which totaled about $50 priority mail with insurance and delivery confirmation. I paid more for insurance since this wasn't a stock rifle. Price includes all metal parts including sling swivels and scope bases, rings, and screws.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJD View Post
    I'm not aware of anyone in Fairbanks that does Cera Kote. I just had a rifle done by someone in California, turnaround time was about 2 weeks. $175 plus shipping both ways which totaled about $50 priority mail with insurance and delivery confirmation. I paid more for insurance since this wasn't a stock rifle. Price includes all metal parts including sling swivels and scope bases, rings, and screws.

Arctic Gunworks does cera kote, I have a rifle done in this in OD Green. It is very durable and has a rough textured feel to it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

AKJD, I also sent a rifle to CAS recently. Everybody I talk to loves his work. Cant wait to get it back.

Thumbs up

I have 3 rifles done with Arctic-Kote and 1 with Cera-Kote. All were done by Arctic Gunworks. The Cera-Kote is advertised as being harder and slicker, but I haven't had a problem with any of them.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

AK257,

Do you notice a difference between the two? Which do you prefer? About how much did it run you?

Thanks!!

AK257, sorry for the off topic but I love your signature line.

True Cera Kote (as I understand it) is only done in a few places in the lower 48 with specialized equipment.

I personally like Nitride the best.

AK257,

Do you notice a difference between the two? Which do you prefer? About how much did it run you?

Thanks!!
    I have one of each and your welcome to look them over. I think the cera-kote is rather rough on the surface, giving a little more to grip. It has fine powder ceramic slip in the ...ah..stuff. What ever that crap is they spray on the parts. I like both of them but don't have it put on the bolt lugs, that requires it be worked off for smooth bolt operation.

I think they were $200 each.

Looks like Arctic Kote is going to be the one for me. I couldn't find any appreciable difference online between the two as far as protection abilities go. Thanks for everyone's input.

AK257,

Thanks!!
    The Cera is not as "smooth" as the Arctic. I have yet to have the Cera Koted rifle in the field, but I have taken one of the Arctic Kotes through some pretty wet and nasty conditions and it looks just as new as the day it was put on. Water just runs off of it like a ducks back! I imagine if you knocked it against the rocks you could damage the coating, but it has held up well for me. I believe I paid $225 for the Arctic Kote and $300 for the Cera. If I do any more I'll probably just stick with the Arctic.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Not Fairbanks

I had my Benelli R-1 upper receiver and barrel coated by Lee at Blackicecoating.com. He uses a spay on Teflon coating. I can't say enough about Lee and his service. My barrel looks better than new and is ready for whatever Alaska throws at it. I live in North Pole and will be at the range quite a bit. Would be happy to show you. Lee can get a quick turn around plus the teflon make the action smoother. Here is a pic, I only had the upper done because the lower is made from aluminum.

Steve

Default Refinished Guide Gun

I have a stainless Guide Gun and it was way too shiny. I got an excellent trade on it or wouldn't have got it. After exploring the various Brownell's, finishes, the Arctic Cote that Gary Junk at Arctic Gunworks does (didn't want to spend that much, although it is impressive), I was recommended to Ken Corcoran in North Pole. Ken disassembled it, bead blasted it, acid bathed it, and at no charge took some of the scratches, dents out of the stock, and reground the recoil pad. It turned out beautifully. The finish has a slight rough texture and color is like the Ruger target gray. I could not be happier, and the price was less than half of the Arctic Cote.

Take a look at the new DURACOAT products for guns, I have done 10 rifles so far and it's very easy to do...just need a airbrush to apply and comes in alot of colors.

Quote Originally Posted by For Pete Sake View Post
    Take a look at the new DURACOAT products for guns, I have done 10 rifles so far and it's very easy to do...just need a airbrush to apply and comes in alot of colors.
    This sure seems to be the hot topic on the AR builders sites. I have finished setting up to anodize AR lowers. I would like to try the Duracoat, but I read of problems by a few users.

Have you had any issues?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I attempted the Duracoat last spring on 2 rifles and 1 handgun. Did it in 2-tone, O.D/combat blk. The Win.94 that my wife has held up rather well, only real wear if any is at the loading gate where she thumbs in shells.

The Model 70 has a "spot" of bare metal showing, meaning my metal prep although was amaturely done good no doubt could have been better degreased-like soaking or something for sometime, overnight perhaps. Nonetheless in combat black looks very good.

My Ruger Bisley .45LC looks amazing.

Been hoping to get a bead blasting setup but have not, just for dinking around and trial and error kind of stuff.

If I can get off the ground and do it with no experience anyone can. I like the experience I got out of using the airbrush/compressor.

Ken has done one particular rifle for me, my VZ24 9.3x62 in parkerizing-very good job. He is exceptional as a "do it right" kind of fella with a lifetime warranty. If he did the job and somewhere it is his fault he will take care of it quickly. Kind of like Leupolds warranty-a no B.S kind of thing.

You know there is alot of "exotic" or "special" finishes out today but....parkerizing still is one tough finish-military has been using it so.............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast