Thread: Haul Road fishing

Question Haul Road fishing

I am headed to the haul road for caribou. If it is slow hunting I thought I might wet my fly line in the Sag River? What can I expect to hit the fly? Grayling maybe? I heard possibly Char. Any advice for flies? I have quite a few flies collected, but did most of my fishing in Montana & Idaho before moving to Alaska. Any advice, strategies appreciated...
    Thanks

You will find Grayling and char in the sag. There are many little lakes there that have grayling. There are a couple of streams that you drive over and they have grayling. They are fun to catch. any small should do. Once they stop bitting that flie switch and they will bite again. I like using a zug bug or a elk hair caddis fly.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Thanks

I look forward to it, I have only caught a couple grayling before in Montana.
    thanks

Before the pass you will pass jim river 3-4 times. They have good grayling right by the road.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

As you are heading north, you will cross the Kuparek River. There is a turnout just across the bridge on the right. Your arms will get tired catching the grayling in the hole right next to the bridge. I spent an entire day catching fish, when there were hundreds of 'bou around me. It was a blast!

Default Just returned...

I did shoot a bou and had a blast catching grayling...they are tough little fish!

Default Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Burke
    I did shoot a bou and had a blast catching grayling...they are tough little fish!
    Where did you end up fishing? Did you catch any char? What size were the grayling?
    DETAILS Man DETAILS

Default taken on the haul rd. by prudoe

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default details

Quote Originally Posted by Akres
    Where did you end up fishing? Did you catch any char? What size were the grayling?
    DETAILS Man DETAILS
    I ended up fishing where the caribou were, Kuparuk River. The grayling were all approximately 12 to 16 inches. I did not catch Char, I didn't hit the Sag river at all. I understand it was not the right time for char? I used a parachute adams and a hairs ear bead head. They just happened to be on the line from the last fishing I did. The fish hit both.