Thread: Sharp Knives

Default Sharp Knives

In the "salt" thread, several hunters mentioned sharp knives. I've always carried sharpeners and used mostly folding knives.

I just recently hunted Barbary Sheep in New mexico and the guide used a Havel knife to do the skinning & caping. I was so impressed, I bought one.

The Havel knife has a replaceable scalpel blade of almost 3 inches. They were originally autopsy knives.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) using these knives on Alaskan game?

Got a link?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Havalon Piranta Knives

These are awesome!

I have the zytel handle and ordered straight from the company. Was the cheapest I could find.

http://www.havalon.com/pirantafolder.html

Keeps a edge very well. You can sharpen the blades for a while too. When they get dull throw away and put on a new one. This knife and a few blades so light. Would take another knife with just in case. They are kinda flimsy if had to cut something hard like a willow switch.

Default Link

Martintrapper

There is a link on the reply just below your post. I bought the fixed handle because it takes the heavier #70 blade which is what was used on my hunt.

I also happened to keep a nylon holster when I lost my MiniMag light. The handle and about 6 extra blades just fit in the holster. Should do as many moose as I care to pack.

BTW, I have left several items in various places in Alaska. If anyone finds any of them, you have my permission to keep them. One was a nice Gerber folding knife near Olds Creek on Kodiak.

Default No more sharpening for me.

No more sharpening for me. I started using these last year and they are great! We used 2 or 3 blades to skin a brown bear last fall and then we inserted new blades for the next job. These blades are unforgivingly sharp so be careful. I have broken them off inside the chest cavity and then we were all nervous knowing there was a broken razor sharp blade in there. These knives are not made for heavy cutting on bones or where you must put a lot of pressure or torque on the blade. I would recommend ordering the pack of 100 blades and two of the folding knives that the blades snap into and you will be set for along time. I carry a leatherman to attach or remove the blades.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    No more sharpening for me. I started using these last year and they are great! We used 2 or 3 blades to skin a brown bear last fall and then we inserted new blades for the next job. These blades are unforgivingly sharp so be careful. I have broken them off inside the chest cavity and then we were all nervous knowing there was a broken razor sharp blade in there. These knives are not made for heavy cutting on bones or where you must put a lot of pressure or torque on the blade. I would recommend ordering the pack of 100 blades and two of the folding knives that the blades snap into and you will be set for along time. I carry a leatherman to attach or remove the blades.
    Thanks guys. They are on sale right now. Shipping is $9. so stock up. Check out the Fred Carter knives before you finish your order. Good sale on them also.
    Hhuonds

Default What blades?

Which blades are you guys using?

Default Blades

Fullcurl

I bought the #8 handle and the #70 blades because they are considerably heavier than the #60 blades that fit in the folding version. I bought 2 folding knives for birthday gifts but I think I'm goingto like the heavier blades better.

The design of the #70 blade works great (from observation) for caping.

[old thread revival]

Did you like the #70 blades? They are carbon steel vs stainless... did they rust real fast on you?

KRS

This is one time that breaking out the "thread Dredge" is well worth it! I have to check the finances but I think that one each of these for the wife and I is justified. I think one of the folders will be the perfect compliment to the Cut-CO double D that allready accompanies me on my adventures afield.

I contacted them and they told me that Barney's is a dealer. It may be time to make a trip over there to check them out! (like I really needed an excuse)

I just make myself use a knife that does not have a very sturdy blade. I started out with my Kbar that i got in the Marines but have bought several knives over the years. My Kbar still goes with me many places as i know it can depend on it. If i have to make a shelter, splint or what ever i know it will be there. My knife is not just for working on game but can be my best freind if i have to go it alone for a while.

After the very disapointing performance of my K.O.A. Cub Bear as a caping knife, I am going to give one of these knives a go. Thanks for digging the thread up.