Thread: CZ 550 Am Safari

Thumbs up CZ 550 Am Safari

I had mentioned on another thread that I had picked one of these up in .375 H&H, and was asked to report how it did at the range.

I finally got out to the range yesterday. I grabbed two different loads I had loaded for my M70 375. The first (300 Hornady BTSP, 76 grains of WW760, Fed Case and Fed LRM Primer) put 5 shots right at 1.5". The second (300 Hornady RN IB, 75 grains H4350, Fed Case and Fed LRM Primer) was right at 1.25". I am sure the rifle can do better with tailored loads, and I am still getting use to the set trigger. Overall I really like this rifle. It is well made, has a nice piece of lumber, properly fit decellerator pad, good checkering, nice sights, mostly steel, good trigger. The only things I can pick at is the blueing was thin in certain spots and its heavy. I used Talley QD Low with a VX-II 2-7 for optics. The Talley's are $$, and a slightly longer scope tube would have given better adjustment for eye relief, as of right now I am using every inch of that tube. I will buy another CZ. The overall quality and performance exceeds many rifles I have purchased recently and cost less. Probably a .222 next!

Thumbs up

TomM, thanks for the report.

That's good to hear. I don't hear many bad reports about the CZ. I think my only grief with that rifle would be that it is a little heavy for my taste. A very well made gun with a good barrel. Did you happen to chronograph those loads?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I didnt get a chance to chronograph them yet. It will get a full load developement done when I get time here shortly. Shouldnt be to hard to get 2500 w/ a 300 grain slug and the 25" tube thats comes on it.

Chop 5 inches off that barrel, makes a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Chop 5 inches off that barrel, makes a world of difference.

Thats what I was thinking, or 3 to 4" a least. Tell us about yours. Did you have the front sight put back on? If so, were they able to use the original front sight again? How much did it cost?