Thread: 257-300Wby Ready for Hunt.

Default 257-300Wby Ready for Hunt.

I have been working on this for some time now and finally the 257-300Wby Mark V with B&C metalist stock with Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm and load work done in developing a good hunting load.

257-300Wby Mark V 26" reamed Weatherby factory barrel with Zeiss conquest.

Average Velocity of this round 86grs Retumbo 100gr TSX

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default I dig it entirely!

Beartooth.

You Rock.

What kind of BC stock is it?model number etc.

Does it have the aluminum bedding block or is it without?

I am putting a Kahles KX3X10X50 4D on my Vanguard 257. I would
    like to shift away from synthetic rubber bumper to classic style like yours.

I probably will feed it 68 Grain RL22 +115 ttx@3400.

Yours would be alot faster but I want this critter reliable, but good enough
    to reach out a touch at 400+ yards.

Sincerely,

Thomas

PS bTW how is the 350 Rem project coming?

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Beartooth.

You Rock.

What kind of BC stock is it?model number etc.

Does it have the aluminum bedding block or is it without?

I am putting a Kahles KX3X10X50 4D on my Vanguard 257. I would
    like to shift away from synthetic rubber bumper to classic style like yours.

I probably will feed it 68 Grain RL22 +115 ttx@3400.

Yours would be alot faster but I want this critter reliable, but good enough
    to reach out a touch at 400+ yards.

Sincerely,

Thomas

PS bTW how is the 350 Rem project coming?
    I can't remember the exact model number right now but it is a B&C Metalist stock which being the Metalist stock it does have the aluminum bedding. I had it bedded, and freefloated. Yea 3850fps is trucking and I am satisfied with it because of accuracy but I have had the 100gr TSX over 4000fps. But like you you I want accuracy and velocity so 3850fps was my compromise. Good luck on your efforts.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I would love to investigate the kill on a coyote shot length ways with this gun. I'm bettin it would turn one inside out!

I think you have taken the "bean field" rifle to the next level!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I would love to investigate the kill on a coyote shot length ways with this gun. I'm bettin it would turn one inside out!

I think you have taken the "bean field" rifle to the next level!
    Yea, this will be so cool to try this year on bean fields, gas line right of ways and cut overs for deer, coyotes and hogs. It will be something to see and of course there will be not pelts to keep on coyotes. What I like is that for all practical terms on most hunting distances that we the average hunter take, there will be not hold over.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Great looking gun.

Not trying to be a smart#$% here or anything but what do you expect your barrel life to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    Great looking gun.

Not trying to be a smart#$% here or anything but what do you expect your barrel life to be?
    Very good question and one that should be asked. I don't know for sure, but the first one of these I know of has now over 900 rounds. It really does not matter with me what the barrel life is going to be. When I bought the 257Wby that is now reamed to the 257-300Wby I did not buy it for barrel life even though the test shown using a 3600fps load in a 257Wby went over 2000 rounds, but of course this is even faster than the 257Wby. When the barrel burns out I will just rebarrel. I wanted a devastating flat killer on medium game so when I hunt taking shots out to 400yds, I don't have to worry about hold over.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smokin'!!

I want photos!!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Smokin'!!

I want photos!!
    Will try to do that in April in north east corner of La. It will be a combined turkey and coyote hunt. Turkeys with my shot gun in the morning and just before dark coyotes with my 257-300Wby along the bank of the Mississippi River. Hope to have some pictures.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS