Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build your own bear fence??

Default Build your own bear fence??

Does anyboy have plans for building your own bear fence? The retail ones are a bit pricey.
    Thanks
    Bruce

Default Bear fence

Bruce, I bought one on ebay for $45. Haven't tried it out yet but it looks just like the pricey ones. Mike

Default bear fence

How does ebay list bear fences? I have been looking for weeks and can never find one.

Default Bear fence

I don't remember off hand how it was listed. I'm at work untill noon. When I get home I'll look at what brand it was and post a reply. Mike

Go to www.Google.com and type in "Tom Smith Electric Fence" and click on the links there. There is a complete 'how to' guide complete with distributors and stores that carry the goods as well as prices and such.

IMHO - if anyone knows anything about electric fences it's Tom.

I did a search for the fence on ebay. Nothing. All it says on the package is Electric Garden Fence. Hope it helps.

Default Tom Smith plans can't find

Well I looked and looked and still did not find plans for the TOM SMITH ELECTRIC FENCE. I see Tom is selling one for $300. Can I get a link to a set of plans?
    Thanks
    Bruce

Bruce - check your pm's.

Default Can you post that?

Quote Originally Posted by Akboondocker
    Bruce - check your pm's.
    Hey, do you guys have plans for an electric fence, that could be posted here?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Fence Fetish

I recently put together a system.

I was looking for Power, Versatility, Ease of use and Econmical...

I chose the yellow jacket made by Zareba. The controller will run on 4 - standard 1.5volt D-cells, a 6 volt or a 12 volt battery. I even ran it on 4 - 3 volt lithium Dcells which made for a light weight 12 volt system.

It puts out around 6000volts on the standard D cells and over 8000 volts on the lithium 3 volt D-cells... I have done some testing but have not run it long term on a 6 volt or 12 volt lead acid or dry cell....

The standard D-cells ran 13 days and started trailing off... The lithium D-cells ran at least as long but at the end dropped off quickly... I liked the lithium because they hold up better in cold temps and have a much greater shelf life. They are pricey though...

I use 9 wire poly wire and when needed have fiber glass poles...

I bought the whole set up at Fence Imporium in Palmer..

It really all depends on how technical you want to get... I'm sure there are lighter units out there but I don't plan on using mine in sheep country.. I primarily use it to protect my transportation and/or shelter (non-food items) while floating or leaving a gear cache for several days...

Hope this helps.

Mike - I'm not able to paste a word doc to this forum. Any suggestions on how put it on the forum? It is quite a large document. Very informative.

Default Electric fences last fall on Kodiak

I set up two electric fences for Kodiak hunt last fall. One using the Zareba yellow jacket ordered online ($75.00). One using the Fi-shok that takes two D batteries ($45.00) . I bought step in posts, ground rods and poly rope & tester from Ak mill feed and garden in Anchorage. Ten days in October on Kodiak and never changed Batteries in either charger. The Fi- Shok consistently tested at 1000 to 1500 volts higher output. Electro-bear guard.com has retail kits with the Zareba charger. Lots of info there also including test video. Two bears at our camp that we know of, One was 12' outside fence one morning but to my knowledge nothing touched the fence. 17 game animals in rubbermaid totes sealed well on the ground in one fence with no disturbance. If I bought more it would be the less expensive Fi- shok unit, it could be set up for $70.00 to $85.00 at AK mill feed depending on post needs.

Default ground control

One thing I'd wanted to add... A good ground is a MUST... Gravel, glacier silt or sand and perma frost are NOT your friend... In one spot last year I opted to suspend the fence 12" over water around a floating cataraft because the gravel and glacier silt was a horrible conductor....

Before you set up do a few test ref the conductivity of the terra firma.... If you are not getting a good ground you may opt to use an alternating pos/neg line vs a ground rod....

Default Electric Fence Article

Quote Originally Posted by Akboondocker
    Mike - I'm not able to paste a word doc to this forum. Any suggestions on how put it on the forum? It is quite a large document. Very informative.
    Boondocker,

Is the article copyrighted? If not, email it to me and we'll get it posted here; perhaps in another area it it's too big.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Mike - check your email. I sent you the word docs. Hopefully you'll have better luck posting them than I. There is a lot of useful info in there.

Default setting perimeter around camp,food and game

So, if you have one of these fences do you just keep all your stuff, including harvested game in one area and put the fence around all of it?
    Bruce

Default Here's what I do...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB
    So, if you have one of these fences do you just keep all your stuff, including harvested game in one area and put the fence around all of it?
    Bruce
    Bruce, you're gonna need about five miles of wire for this, and lots of D cells. What I do is set a perimeter fence around an area of prime habitat, and drive game to the other end, by banging on a dishpan. They won't cross the wire for fear of getting shocked; that's when I zap 'em with my .375. Kidding, kidding!

You'll probably find it easier to fence your meat, boat and tent separately if you're gonna do this. At least do the boat; it's your ride out of there! On a drop camp I'd do the meat rack.

If you try to surround your entire camp, you're going to need a LOT of wire, a better transformer and probably more battery power. The worst thing though is bunching everything close together (meat, boat and sleeping tent) to save wire. Judgment call.

-Mike

-Mike

Default Thanks Mike

Ya know, I was kinda thinkin 'bout doin' that drive 'em to da fence thing.:>)
    Thanks for all the input Mike. You are a wealth of knowledge and a good laugh. Nice kingfish post on the fishing board.
    Bruce

I have started another thread in the General Discussion forum on the subject of electric fences as bear deterrents. This is really of interest to not just hunters, but outdoor recreationists and outdoors people of all types.

Perhaps in this we can collect any references that have not been listed so far.

David

Default grounding on a gravel bar??

I have heard that these fences do not work so well on gravel bars. Bad ground. What do you do there to make them work?
    Bruce

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast