Thread: Desperately Seeking a bear hunting partner

Default Desperately Seeking a bear hunting partner

Everyone,
    Is there anyone out there looking for a spring bear hunting partner? I am an Army guy, live in Fairbanks, (and Alaskan resident) who has some time on their hands before I have to deploy this summer. I've been too busy since comming here to hunt and now have been presented with alot of time to play with.

I would like to link up with someone who has been before - as this will be my first - and only time.

The only thing I don't own is a snowmachine.

Ready to go - pay more than my share -and have a serious hunting adventure

Please PM if interested - Snowman

Default still early

Its still very early to be bear hunting in the interior. I don't know if you're thinking about baiting or spot and stalk, but either way, don't let the unusual weather of the past week fool you. You're not likely to see many bears out for at least another 3-4 weeks, and most baits don't get hit regularly until May.

I've never been either snowman, but I'm in the same spot as you. So if no one with experience comes forward, I'll be more than happy to go. Neither of us may know what to do....but two heads are better than none. Besides I know a lot of locals up here I can turn to for advice.

Default Clarify

Members,
    Actually I was looking to see if anyone wanted to do a fly in,.....maybe 2 guys who wouldn't mind a in shape third to help split costs of their trip.

I have the entire month of march and april free.

Take care....

Snowman

A fly-in trip somewhere in unit 16B in April sometime could probably net you a decent brown and black bear.

Default 16B

16B in April is going to be really rough to access.... the lakes aren't ice free yet and the ice is soft enough that most ski planes won't do it. the rivers could be decent but they too will be starting to rot out and you could run into some nasty spots on the snowmachines.....

I did a 16B fly in last year and didn't go until 3rd week of may.... even then the bigger lakes were still iced up. we got into a little lake with floats but the bears were grouped in a location that was NOT where we were
    hehehe.

Snowman, April is gonna be sketchy for bears. If you had May off that would a different story.

BTW, thank you for your service and dedication to our country!!

It would seem like mornings in early April would be fine for a plane. It's kind of like hunting bears via snowmachine in April. Ride into your area in the morning and don't plan on leaving again until the following night/morning when it gets firm again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It would seem like mornings in early April would be fine for a plane. It's kind of like hunting bears via snowmachine in April. Ride into your area in the morning and don't plan on leaving again until the following night/morning when it gets firm again.
    Works with four-wheelers, too. BTDT.