Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Juneau Fishing 2008

Default Juneau Fishing 2008

Twin Lakes is now a Quarter open... Lets get this party started, early this year!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Already?

Is it already time for the "Juneau fishing" thread?

I caught & released a couple nice Cutts, and 2 Bows out of there last April but then nothing but King catchlings after that so I moved on. Nice meaning 14" to 15". Guess I shoulda said nice considering the location. I think right after the ice is gone a guy stands a good chance of catching some nice fish putting in some time of course.

Anyone know when the salmon smolt/fry start building up here? Thats my call to hit the salt for Dollies. What a blast!

Showing my backside at Dupont on Tuesday. See if I cant get one of them winter fish. I have already seen some fry hanging around the piers downtown. Not very big schools, but they are definitly around. Not to much longer now, If I can just hold out....
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-10-2008 at 07:59.

I'm gearing up for the steelhead....Bears as well, still going to be in a holding pattern with the Heavy snow warning they posted for tonight....up to 7 inches!

And here I thought spring might be here...

Default I did it again

I've definately got a few places picked for my first excursion of the year. Now I just gotta tie flies till I run out of feathers and fur.

Fished Auke lake today, quite a few smolt chillin in the surface film no big fish though..

Auke Lake is open?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Auke Lake is open?
    Enough...

Anyone been out by the salt chuck?

Yeah - Frozen solid - Except a little bit by the bridges...

Snowfall looks pretty wet in the valley this morning... should be gone soon. Gastineau Channel is producing some nice king crab too...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Crab huh? Maybe I should throw a pot with the kayak did the P/U fishery reopen cause its a new year?

I thought king crabbing was closed?

No Joy at Dupont today. Set one at 75 (green on green) and another at 90 (red on blue). No bites, no nibbles, no fish. I will be at it again this weekend though. Any suggestions on set-ups?

Default I Thought King Crab Closed on Oct 1st

Case - I just went to the F&G site and found the 9/14/07 EO that closed the remainder of SE (seeing as most of 11-A closed early in the summer p/u fishery) to the retention of Red and Blue King crab on October 1, 2007. Unless something came out later from F&G that changed that EO, I think the "brownshirts/blueshirts." would be very interested to know who was currently harvesting Reds in the Channel. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Snowfall looks pretty wet in the valley this morning... should be gone soon. Gastineau Channel is producing some nice king crab too...

-Case
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    King Crab huh? Maybe I should throw a pot with the kayak did the P/U fishery reopen cause its a new year?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I thought king crabbing was closed?
    Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    Case - I just went to the F&G site and found the 9/14/07 EO that closed the remainder of SE (seeing as most of 11-A closed early in the summer p/u fishery) to the retention of Red and Blue King crab on October 1, 2007. Unless something came out later from F&G that changed that EO, I think the "brownshirts/blueshirts." would be very interested to know who was currently harvesting Reds in the Channel. ;-)
    Sorry everyone... funny how small details being left out can seriously affect the "feeling" of a post... 2 points to clarify (and justify my dinner!)
    1) When I said "Gastineau Channel is producing some nice king crab" I had been standing on the deck of a friend's Beach Drive house in Douglas watching a commercial boat pull a string of pots in front of the rock dump.
    2) The 9/14/07 EO only addresses reds and blues. The 7/6/07 EO only addresses reds and blues. The COMMERCIAL EO #1-C-09-07 states:
    5 AAC 77.664 PERSONAL USE KING CRAB FISHERY (c)(1) is superseded by this emergency order to read:
    5 AAC 77.664. PERSONAL USE KING CRAB FISHERY.
    (c) In the waters described in 5 AAC 33.200 as Section 11-A, in the personal use taking of king crab,
    (1) the taking of red and blue king crab is closed from 6:00 p.m., Saturday, July 14, 2007 through the end of the 2007/2008 season and there is no closed season for golden king crab;(emphasis added)
    Unless I'm seriously mistaken, this spiny lil' bugger is a golden(brown) crab.

(It's just like in the charter business... if F&G is going to get nasty and limit what I can and can't take or guide clients to take, I'm inclined to scour what's out there and find something tasty that we CAN eat! Golden king crab and sablefish better watch out if I'm around! )

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    No Joy at Dupont today. Set one at 75 (green on green) and another at 90 (red on blue). No bites, no nibbles, no fish. I will be at it again this weekend though. Any suggestions on set-ups?
    If DuPont isn't being friendly, have you tried over by Slocum or Doty Cove? (If they haven't closed it, drop a dungie pot over in Taku Harbor before the yachties get in there in June.)

Find the one bait ball off DuPont and mooch under it... usually that's about 120'. I'm always a fan of green on green, but early in the year I've been having better luck with the smaller dodgers and a shorter lead. Also, try a chartreuse vibrax spinner about half the time on the deep rig.

I have to de-soot my furnace this weekend, and put my davit back together next. Watch the open seat threads here and on my boards. If I can get a leash on my son, I'll get out there with ya... oh, wait... it's not "nice" to leash your children... I guess I meant "jackline" instead of "leash"!!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hey case do you know if those guys are going after tanners or goldens or what? I saw the same a few weeks back... The gulls sure loved em.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    hey case do you know if those guys are going after tanners or goldens or what? I saw the same a few weeks back... The gulls sure loved em.
    A couple of the boats in moored in Auke Bay and down on the IVF were selling Goldens. Seeing the channel (and a few other super-secret areas) chocked full (well, enough for a commercial boat to work 3-6 pots anyway!) sure gives me some ideas...

Oh, and I do realize I got a good deal buying the above pictured dinner, but in what crazy world are we living where fresh king crab costs $5 per pound (cooked and cleaned, no less!) and fresh halibut is running $25 per pound???

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We went trolling in Auke Bay yesterday, Fritz Cove and Indian boat, then by the docks (chasing balls of bait) with no joy....Did see what looked like some nice fish on the fish finder though...

Just to clear up a few things, there was no red/blue king crab season this year.

Tanner season opened on Feb 14th after a 48-hour weather delay, and went 6 days in the "core areas" and 11 days in "non-core areas"...core areas are 13 zones of abundance and concentrated effort that are mainly in Northern SE.

Golden crab season started the same day, and the fishery extends until the quota is projected to be harvested based on 48-hour mandatory reporting. This year, the Icy Strait fishery closed on march 2nd, the Lynn Canal fishery closed on the 3rd, East-Central closed on the 6th, and 4 other areas remain open.

The pots in the channel are (were) tanner pots. It is a decent but fast fishery, as the holes get cleaned out pretty quick.

As for a Golden Crab sport or p/u fishery...If you own a boat capable of setting and hauling a 400 lb pot from 300-500 fathoms, have at it. With a CPUE of 3-5 animals, that's a lot of effort for a little food. Stick to Tanners, they're much easier and more abundant.

Mark

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast