Thread: Tried VARGET and 225 gr Kodiaks in 350 Rem Mag today

Default Tried VARGET and 225 gr Kodiaks in 350 Rem Mag today

I loaded some 225 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets to 2.875 COL and loaded 57.0 grains of VARGET for a 350 Rem Mag Ruger M77MKII.

I used Remington 9 1/2 primers and they were a little hard as my factory new firing pin spring seems a little weak. So I had three failures to fire from light strikes.

The average velocity was 2,536 fps with a 40 fps spread. The cases all came out with very dirty necks.

I was only able to obtain a 2.2 inch group with this load. I was hoping for a one hole group like Paul H shot using VARGET. It could be that my barrel is not free floated, or these Remington primers. There were no pressure signs.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Don't feel bad. I tried Beartooths 60gr. of 748 behind Sierra 225's today. First one was a flyer, next 2 were an inch apart the 4th cut the second hole and the 5th was 2.5 inches right. I think I pulled the last one though... We'll try it again!

The VARGET load was so dirty that the carbon was building up in the chamber after 10 rounds and was actually making the rounds a little hard to chamber. All the necks looked like they had been blow-torched. This was Remington virgin bulk brass. Which is usually discolored anyway.
    BUT, maybe I have a slightly oversized chamber,

That brass is in the cleaner right now and I will mic it against some loaded ammo to see how much it swelled.

Plus I may try some Sierra gamekings, maybe the Kodiak bullets are part of the problem with accuracy.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

wrong place again

Oh, man! That little Swede's a keeper!