Thread: Editing....

Default Editing....

I have done some editing here. Primarily to clear up some of the antagonistic remarks. That is one of the jobs of a moderator. If your comments have been editied out or deleted, you must have said something that warrants moderator action.

Please feel free to express your opinion without an argumentative tone, I'll do the same.

Murphy

Default Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have done some editing here. Primarily to clear up some of the antagonistic remarks. That is one of the jobs of a moderator. If your comments have been editied out or deleted, you must have said something that warrants moderator action.

Please feel free to express your opinion without an argumentative tone, I'll do the same.

Murphy

You'll probably catch some grief, but you know what they say about torpedoes.

Thank you!

I guess I'll be one of the grief givers. I agree that as a moderator you should remove antagonistic comments so that posts only express constructive opinions; however, to edit others posts while removing yours completely looks a lot like another attack by you against those who disagreed with you.

The following is not an attempt to stir the pot, but instead is constructive criticism for you while carrying out your duties as a moderator:

Both sides were at fault, but you've edited the thread to remove your contributions to the antagonism entirely while still leaving some of theirs. Reading the post in question now makes it look like the ones disagreeing with you did so out of sheer childishness and does not accurately represent why they made their comments. You did an excellent job at removing the negatives about their post while not altering the intention of their posts...you should have played fair and done the exact same to yours.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Editing Deleting, Closing etc.

Murphy:
    I seldom disagree with you, and those times I do, I still respect you, because I believe you are a tremendous asset to the Forums, you moderate. Besides that, you have helped me more than you know, and I would be inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt, more than any of the other moderators.

Apparently I didn't get zinged on this one, and I donít know what, you edited out, or what your specific reasons were for doing it, so Iíll just address it in general terms.

Generally speaking then, I feel it is bad for the forum to delete someoneís post. It degrades them, and leaves them without a way to defend themselves. They have been judged, sentenced, and have no recourse, except to appeal to the very ones that did it to them. This creates a lot of animosity that could have been avoided.

Iím sure that the Alaska Forums are very popular, with no shortage of participants, so this may not be a huge concern here at this time. However, I know that some people leave a forum because of these things. These things pile up, so IMO, deleting, and closing a thread should only be used as a last resort.

Sometimes things are hotly debated, but Iíve observed, that they usually cool down after awhile. They seem to follow a pattern. First, people take sides, then all possible arguments are put forth, then people get tired of the bickering, and agree, or agree to disagree, and lose interest. In other words posters can often police themselves, and no-one is disenfranchised. Still, the subject has been explored, and thatís what itís all about. No real harm has been done.

My opinions are based, on having ďbeen thereĒ, so there are perhaps, some selfish reasons for them, rather than just my perceived wisdom.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Postings

If I offended someone I sincerely apologize.

I make a very sincere effort to never personally attack anyone, their beliefs, or their abilities or lack of them even in jest so perhaps I took a sarcatic remark personally.

I try to back up opinions with examples and I'll plainly state that it is only my opinion and I may be wrong and stand to be corrected. If nothing else it makes life easier when I am proven wrong; I have no problem saying "I was wrong- thanks for giving me the right information".

I also don't have a probem in saying "I don't know"!

If I know the answer I will sometimes ask questions to let the forum come to or find the correct answer. I often learn new stuff that way.

Anyway, its been fun. Thanks everyone. I'm over the flu and back to the grind tomorrow where I get paid to tell people they are wrong

Thanks to all of you who have given me your comments both here and privately. I do appreciate it and will take it as advice.

It increases the task a lot when I have to send a measage to each who was "edited" or "deleted" so I tried this openly. My intent was not to remove any vital aspect of a post but to only "clean it up". I'm not paid well enough to put up with some of what I get here.

Further I would like to encourage each of you to continue your input. There is a great depth of knowledge here and it is always best coming form the actual experience of others. I think the Handloading forum has been a very educational network for several here and I think we can make it even better.

Thanks again to all of you for your contributions.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?