Thread: Flash Help?

Default Flash Help?

Well I was a big hit with everyones help and you may have remembered that I bought the wife the Cannon 40D for our anniversery. Her birthday is comming up and I want to get her a flash so I'm turning to you all again. I need some recommendations as to which one to get her for the camera. If you can, please explain a little why, on the one that you recommend because I sure don't know what the hell i'm doing but would like to get hew something nice. Thanks again for all of the help.

If you want to stick with Canon's flash units, the 430EX is probably the best bang for the buck. It is a very competent flash that tilts, swivels and zooms to match your lens and allow bouncing from any shooting position. It has plenty of power and recycles very quickly. The 220EX doesn't tilt of swivel so is rather limited indoors. The 580EXII is a better flash in many ways, but is larger and more expensive. Unless you have real need of some of it's advanced features (Optional high voltage power supply, stroboscopic flash, more power, etc) the 430EX is a better deal and enough of a flash to keep most anyone happy.

Sigma and others make options that also take advantage of Canon's E-TTL II flash metering system, but they also have some pitfalls and compromises - generally in durability and ease of use. I used to have the Sigma, and while it is a good flash for the money, I ultimately traded it in for a 430EX and am much happier.

If your wife has the knowledge and patience to use the older style autoflash (thyristor) units, you can save considerably with a Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285. These are not as easy to use, but will provide accurate exposures and plenty of serviceability for the money.

Default Thanks

Jim, Thanks for the help. I thought that I might get a little more response than this but I took your advice and got her the 430EX for her birthday, I hope that she likes it

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Jim, Thanks for the help. I thought that I might get a little more response than this but I took your advice and got her the 430EX for her birthday, I hope that she likes it
    You can bet that she will love it. It's a very nice flash.

I was following this thread with interest. I have the EX580II because I got a great deal on it. (friend only used it once and sold it to me) I have, for the most part, fast glass and don't do alot of indoor photography. What little I have played around with the flash at first made me think I should have gone to college!! But after the initial fears subsided, it is a great flash that is designed to go with my 24-105. Flashes have come a long way in the last few years!! Jim, thanks for your input!!
    EricL

Well, even outdoor you can use the flash to fill in when there are shadow on the subject. You can also meter the bright background and fill in with flash. I will look for some example on that later.

Thi