Thread: Whittier pictures 3-8-08

Default Whittier pictures 3-8-08

So I was in Girdwood all weekend and thought I'd take a drive to Whittier to check out the ramp (there's another thread on launching in winter) and to just get out. It was rainy/snowy and blowing in Gridwood, and much worse as I got near and into Whittier. No surprise there. Whitecaps on the water. Took some pictures of the launch ramp (that black dot on the dock is a seal hauled out) and along the stores (another post..max 2 pics per post allowed). Personally, I wouldn't launch on that ramp now, chains or no chains. Still lots of snow and slush. Through the tunnel to Whittier at 1:30 and then back out at 2:00, but that was enough time there. Won't be long until summer, though!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default The storefront shot in Whittier

This is the other picture I took in Whittier Saturday March 8.

Smile Earliest for me

The earliest I've been out of Whittier was 3/12 in 2006. Here's some pics of that day. Sure was a good start to the season!!

Default One more

From 3/12/06

Those are pretty timely pictures for some of the guys here who were wondering about that ramp. I'm thinking it might be doable at a lower tide.

Default Whittier VS Seward

I'll be in Anchorage in mid June. Would there be any advantage in going for Halibut + , out of Seward, rather than the short drive to Whittier? I'm not hunting for a monster just nice fish.
    Hhounds

Default Whittier

Looks like they spend as much on street maintenance as they do on the launch ramps.

hhounds-
    i mainly fish out of Whittier but go a long way most of the summer. my guess is your chances are better out of seward. there are more charters out of Seward but Whittier charters seem to do real well .......more protected water out of whittier if you are likely to get sea sickness. waters in PWS are deeper and can be harder to fish.
    probably a coin toss.
    i have a friend that charters out of Seward if you need a name , if you decide to go to Seward and want the name PM me.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Charters

The Whittier charters go to the same place the Seward charters go. It just takes them longer.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Wow, thanks for the pics. I can see I will not be launching for a bit yet. With my boat / trailer weighing in at 10,000 lbs... pulling that load up hill on the icey ramp....I will be stuck!!!

I'll keep getting the boat ready and wait til it melts more.

The wife and I were going to take a drive down to check it out. Thanks for saving me a trip.

AkBillyBow

Unhappy No worries the exposed rebar and crumbling concrete

provide traction for your tires