Thread: Any experiences with Hornady .458 350 gr RN out of Win Mag?

Default Any experiences with Hornady .458 350 gr RN out of Win Mag?

I've embarked on a project to create a short, handy .458 Win Mag on a commercial Mauser action. While I'm waiting for parts to arrive and gun smith work to be done, I thought I'd get started on acquiring my reloading supplies.

The primary use of the gun will be for just about anything Alaskan. I've decided on Hawk 350 gr spitzers for the light skinned game and longer shots, but I'm looking for a good moose and brown bear round. This rifle won't be hunting cape buffalo or elephants any time soon so I don't need a 500 grain solid, but I want something that will hold together well at a muzzle velocity of about 23-2400 fps (lowest impact velocity of about 1800 fps) and penetrate fully without breaking apart on a solid double shoulder shot.

I've used the Hornady 350 gr Round Nose in .45-70 and it has done well, but does anyone have experience with it at the higher Win Mag velocities? I like it because it's cheap and the recoil will be noticeably less than with 450 or 500 grainers. My concern is that cheap=poor performance on game in this case.

If you don't reccomend the Hornady RN, what do you reccomend for the Win Mag?

I haven't popped any game with it as I recall (I'm on the road and the logbooks are far, far away). I did some expansion testing and they were okay, but got a little squishy as velocities went much beyond 2200. In .429 caliber I've had superb penetration combined with expansion using Hawk 300's with their .050 jackets at up to 2400. I can't promise anything, but I'm betting if you get the heavier jacket on the Hawks they'll be about right. There are several other well made 458 bullets around, but my experience with them is pretty limited or non-existant. Kodiak's sit right at the top of my next-try list. I've probably shot more 500s than any other jacketed bullets through the 458 winnies. Of course I shoot 10 times more cast than jacketed through them.

Kodiaks are on my "check them out" list as well. I see Wild West Guns loads 350 gr ABW Kodiak Bonded in both flat point and FMJ in their .457 Magnum. Their loads are starting to infringe on Win Mag velocities and they claim excellent performace on brown bear and moose. I'm going to call ABW, but does anyone have a copy of their latest flyer that they can scan in?

There are some very good Kodiaks, I've used all weights in them. The lighter ones will expand a lot penetration will be limited (as limited as it can be in a 458) Another bullet in the 350 class is the Speer Hot-Core mag tip. This bullet has a longer nose than the 45-70 can handle in a repeater but it fits well in the 458 magazine. It is inexpensive and makes a great practice bullet also. It became the bullet for a recent conversion bolt gun in 450 Marlin. This a very tough bullet. I've pushed it 2550 fps with 76.5 grains of AA2015 in the 458 WM. I've seen it used for African lion, and several large grass eaters. It made exit holes except on a one ton eland. Also the 400 grain Swift A-frame is a tough Hombre with 70 grains of RL-12 I get 2400 fps from it. This would actually be a do all bullet for the 458 and I think it would be my preferred bullet for the bigger bears and the 458 WM, going to the 450 grain for the Lott. Lots of good bullets in .458"
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I really like those speer 350gr mag tips for practice/hunting but would opt for the 400 swift, kodiak, or woodliegh for bigger bears. I've been driving those 350gr Speers at nearly 2800fps out of my Lott, accuracy is great. The Barnes 350gr TSX should be a good one too. Northfork made a great 458 caliber bullet too but unfortunately shut down. Hopefully they will open back up soon.

Barnes just came out with 300 and 350 grain .458 spitzer TSX bullets that I'm going to try. I ordered the last two boxes of 350 grainers from Midway USA. If the 350 TSXs are reasonably accurate I'll probably use them instead of the 350 grain Hawks. I've had a lot of luck with TSXs in all of my other rifles, but have noticed they seem to open better at higher for caliber velocities. I'll have to see how they do at Win Mag velocities. I see beef knuckles and home-made ballistic gelatin in my future for testing the new TSXs penetration capabilities.