Thread: Solar electricity

Default Solar electricity

What exactly do I need to have a solar cabin. I need at most 300 watts. I know I need panels, but what about the other stuff: inverters etc.

PROPERTY'S,POSSESSIONS,WEALTH

Quote Originally Posted by Koyukuk View Post
    What exactly do I need to have a solar cabin. I need at most 300 watts. I know I need panels, but what about the other stuff: inverters etc.
    Solar panels, a charge controller, batteries, and an inverter for 120v usage. If all you expect to run is 300 watts you can use a couple of 6v golf cart batteries from Sam's Club. They work well for small systems and are affordable. Charge controllers can be simple or complicated. Morningstar makes good ones with LED indicators for not too much money. Costco usually has inverters, or you can buy a better one that's made for alternative powered homes with a built-in battery charger for the winter months. The solar panels will be your biggest expense. Alaska Battery Mfg is a good local source. Northern Arizona Wind & Sun is my favorite web source for products, and resource for information.

http://www.solar-electric.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Koyukuk View Post
    You might want to take a look at parts one and two of this article:

Walden Pond, the Solar Version by Jeff Yago, P.E., CEM

It was published in 2006 so the prices might be off a bit, but the other information should get you well on your way.

And if there is anything that is unclear, you can check out his advice columns or ask him a question if he's not already covered it.

Oliver

Default Solar

You will find that solar isn't the greatest up in that area, lots of money and no benefit in the winter. Here is another site to check out...
    www.backwoodssolar.com

Either way, it's going to cost $

You may want to combine wind with solar for when the sun isn't shining enough, assuming you have a windy enough location. All of this will be expensive though...