Thread: trying to broaden some horizons around here

Default trying to broaden some horizons around here

Well Im not sure if this will intrest all you hunting magnumaholics but just got done building my AK, test fireing will be conducted this afternoon.

Looks like really nice work Matt. I'm not a fan of "issue" AK's by any means, but yours is a head turner. I've done virtually all my hunting with traditional muzzleloaders in recent years, so "out there" as an AK might be to me as a hunting weapon, I bet anyone who's a fan of semi's would really appreciate using one as nice as yours. Now, give me a big box of ammo and some plinking targets, and I'm all over the semi's. Not a criticism of someone else's hunting choices by any means, but a description of what I find to be fun. Let us know how it shoots!

Default Nice

Since 1992 I have wanted a NHM-91. I am one of the few who actually liked the thumbhole stock AK idea. So 3 weeks ago I picked up a new in box NHM-91 and have not looked back. I find it a "Blast" to shoot. I really don't understand why I waited so long to pick one up. I am looking for only one more mod for mine, and that is a good flash hider / muzzle break. It look like you picked one that would do me fine. Where did you get it?

Ron

I have always scoffed at AK's. I picked one up awhile ago as an investment. I shot it and had a BLAST with it. It was so fun to just well, shoot, and not worry about little groups, heating the barrel up, fouling the barrel. You know plinking at its purest form! So I fell in love with them, and the investment idea is paying off. These things are going up in value almost daily.

I really liked the idea of having one in 223 and also this AK is pretty unique and rare to find in the U.S. so I had to buy it. Building it was not too hard. If I do it again, Ill will probably have to buy a ton of kits and then just invest in qaulity tooling so I can really crank them out.

I dont plan on using it for hunting. Just having fun. Im with you on the muzzleloader thing. I love them for hunting. Next project will be a muzzleloader build(track of the wolf catalog just got here yesterday) after my 1911 build

I got the muzzle break over at http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20256, this one is an exact copy of the one that came with my AK. I can sell you mine that came with my kit (its Brand new) and I believe you can legally put it on your AK. But you might want to check into that.

I have the original but because of this 922r law I had to replace 6 parts of my gun with U.S. Made parts. Freeking stupid. I had to basiclly throw away 5 brand new Yugoslavian parts that came with this kit and replace them with exact copies made in the USA.

That looks good. Been eyeballing ak's at the gun shows to buy one and refurbish it to something like yours. Good job.

Nice looking AK rimfirematt.
    After reading about Dragunov rifles years ago, I always wanted a Russian Dragunov SVD Semi-Auto 7.62 X 54R. Probably pretty expensive these days. How much did you pay for your AK and who is the manufacturer? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Nice looking AK rimfirematt.
    After reading about Dragunov rifles years ago, I always wanted a Russian Dragunov SVD Semi-Auto 7.62 X 54R. Probably pretty expensive these days. How much did you pay for your AK and who is the manufacturer? Thanks
    Thanks! The maker of the AK is Zastava of Yugoslavia. I bought this as a parts kit off gunbroker for 409.00, then I bought the reciever from www.nodakspud.com for 130.00 I think. Then, bought the other compliance parts off of various websites. those totaled out to 90.00. Then I assembled it.

What they are asking for these AK's already built and ready to fire is about 950.00 So I saved a few hundred building myself.

Test firing went really well. No hickups, operated just like an AK should. It really beat up the brass is about my only complaint but I think that is normal for these guns. I didnt do any accuracy testing cause of limited ammo supply but as soon as I get some extra cash I will buy up some ammo and test it out.

Default Careful

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I have always scoffed at AK's. I picked one up awhile ago as an investment. I shot it and had a BLAST with it. It was so fun to just well, shoot, and not worry about little groups, heating the barrel up, fouling the barrel. You know plinking at its purest form! So I fell in love with them, and the investment idea is paying off. These things are going up in value almost daily.

I really liked the idea of having one in 223 and also this AK is pretty unique and rare to find in the U.S. so I had to buy it. Building it was not too hard. If I do it again, Ill will probably have to buy a ton of kits and then just invest in qaulity tooling so I can really crank them out.
    NICE RIFLE !!
    Matt be careful, the 223 AK's are known for haveing bad or soft bolt faces. Since the original AK was designed for the lower pressure 7.62 round.

The 223 AK's are fun though. So are the 223 SKS's they also use the 30 round 223 AK mags(these are extremely rare in the US). There were also some 7.62 SKS's imported which used the standard AK magazines. They are hard to find now-a-days though.
    There was also a NHM-91 with a 24" heavy barrel and a folding bipod, it came with a receiver milled out of a block of steel not fabricated from sheet metal. It was a (semi-auto) squad automatic weapon the bipod was high enough for the 75 and 1oo round drums.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Nice build Matt! I had an AK a friend built for me for a long time. Lotsa fun at the range for sure.

Matt,

The NHM didn't come with a muzzle break. I have 6 US pieces on mine, so the muzzle break won't mess the legality of mine. I will have the nut cut off on mine and threads re-cut if necessary. Send me a PM with the price you want on the break.

Brav01,

My NHM-91 is with the stamped receiver. It is 1.6 mm and is one of the thickest out there. It has a 23.25" barrel. It also comes with the bypod. A friend of mine bought one back in 1992 for $650. This one came off gunbroker, NIB for $650. I will try and post a photo later tonight.

Ron

What they are asking for these AK's already built and ready to fire is about 950.00 So I saved a few hundred building myself.
    Actually Yugo underfolders are $599...but ya had fun for your money

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Actually Yugo underfolders are $599...but ya had fun for your money
    Show me where a M95 is for 599.00? That is the one I built. Its a 5.56 and as far as my research as led me to believe only 500 of these made it in country.

Heck the last couple of M95 parts kits on gunbroker are 550.00

This is one of the last complete M95's I saw for sale. It sold. Click on this link for a good description of what a M95 is http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=93226448

I know that 599.00 is what the m70AB2's go for, actually got mine for 550.00

Didnt see it was a 223.....last one of those I have seen went for $749 IIRC.....

But hard to come by.