Thread: Do-it-yourself Moose

Thumbs up Do-it-yourself Moose

Done alot of DIY hunts over the years all over the country. One I'd like to try down the road is moose. What are some good places for a DYI moose hunt?

I'd love to go guided, but the prices are so steep anymore for guides, the average guy who wants to hunt alot, can't afford it! I'm thinking of a guided goat trip, but even that is so pricey, I have to take pause. I'd love to get a brown bear, but that's way over my head...about like Dall Sheep!

So, back to DIY. How about a moose trip? Can someone point me into the right direction to start researching?
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Default Too Vague

Your question is pretty vague. Do you want an outfitted hunt, drop camp, or float hunt? Do you just want any legal moose or do you have to shoot a trophy (big) moose?

Four places to start: Forum Archives, PM to Michael Strahan, PM to Walt at Alaska Northwest, web site of Larry Bartlett (these are in no particular order - just as they came to me). All 4 choices will result in helpful information as will re-submitting a more detailed inquiry.

Post Just starting

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Your question is pretty vague. Do you want an outfitted hunt, drop camp, or float hunt? Do you just want any legal moose or do you have to shoot a trophy (big) moose?

Four places to start: Forum Archives, PM to Michael Strahan, PM to Walt at Alaska Northwest, web site of Larry Bartlett (these are in no particular order - just as they came to me). All 4 choices will result in helpful information as will re-submitting a more detailed inquiry.
    Yeah, you're right it did sound a little vague. I'm really just starting my research. I'm 6 months out from my bear hunt and all dialed in, so now its time to start thinking about the next hunt. Still deciding, but regardless I will plan a moose hunt sometime in the near future. Moose will be new to me, unlike the bear hunt (I've hunted bear many times before).

I was thinking of a float trip, but I don't know if that's my best chance of success. As far as a big moose, of course I would like to get a wall hanger, but a good hunt is what I'm after most. I probably will not shoot a small moose with anything other than the camera, but I'd like to get into an area that has possibilities. Not sure where to start in terms of location or type of hunt. Cost is going to be a factor too. If I want to hunt again, I have to try to get the most bang for my buck!
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Like Phil said, spend a few hundred with Strahan or Larry Bartlett. Then if you don't get your moose..............you'll have no one to blame but them! :-)
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I think a float trip for Moose would be ideal in 2010