Thread: Wolf Seeking

Default Wolf Seeking

I'm planning for a big fall hunt on Kuiu Island for black bear, but also bought a couple wolf tags. I know nothing about wolf hunting, but I'd love to get one. Can anyone give me some pointers?

I've trapped and hunted coyotes and bobcat, but thats about it. I've successfully trapped and called in animals and got the passer by, but I would imagine wolves are going to be different.
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Good .... Kuiu does have a few Wolf !!!!

Even though during your Sept Bear hunt the Island Wolf will have somewhat short hair ... it is always good to have a tag in your pocket. The hair is usually even just summery and short.

They might respond to a predator or Deer bleat call or you could try howling them in.

They must be sealed just like your Bear. Be sure to give your self enough time after your hunt to arrange for the sealing. Check with the local Biologist about any special rules that might apply. Like if they are still doing Wolf studies and require the front leg bone to remanin attached to the hide.

Also you must flesh and salt ASAP.

Can't say about the wolves on the islands, I've never hunted there. As for the wolves in the interior, a varmit call will not work. Wolves ignore it, or they go the other way. I have had the best luck with wolf howls, and coyote howls. Did have them come in to fawn bleats up in the Brooks Range.
    Good luck with the hunt.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I've see plenty of wolves on Kuiu and have called them in succesfully, they have really put a hurt on the deer there. Last time I guided a hunt over there we didn't even see a deer track in 10 days! but we did get 2 wolves. I have even seen black bear hair in wolf scat there. Shoot as many as you can!

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine View Post
    I've see plenty of wolves on Kuiu and have called them in succesfully, they have really put a hurt on the deer there. Last time I guided a hunt over there we didn't even see a deer track in 10 days! but we did get 2 wolves. I have even seen black bear hair in wolf scat there. Shoot as many as you can!
    Other than calling... do you just happen across them or is there a strategy for finding them?

KRS

The wolves I've come across in SE were all by happen chance, no planning or hunting involved. One minute they were there and if you blinked long enough and didn't get a shot off they were gone.