Thread: Looking for places to ride

Default Looking for places to ride

Hey folks! Im new to the forums but been in Anchorage at Elmendorf for over 3 years. Just last summer i bought a used Z400 and got about 60 hours worth of riding out of it. Since then iv rebuilt the motor with a big bore 440 kit, port polished head, exhaust, stage 1 cams, and all kinds of other goodies.

I have a group of friends i work with that go riding with me on a regular basis and we were kinda looking for more places to ride. Iv been to Jim Creek, backside of Ft. Rich, Sutton, some little trail in Wasilla, and out to Talkeetna. I was curious if you guys knew of anywhere else a group of guys can go with sport quads and dirt bikes. Also, we are always looking to add new folks who would like a group to ride with during the summer. We usually ride about 3-4 times a week or whenever possible. Theres only about 3 of us at any given time but once the planets line up we have about 6 folks.

I know theres a few of us who would like to get with a knowlegeable group who likes to go out and have a good time riding. Anyway iv rambled enough, look forward to meeting some of you.

Lastly, how are the riding conditions in most hot spots? I know its been quite warm lately which leads me to believe Jim Creek is probably flooded. Anybody been out and around lately? Feel free to pm me or whatever.

Take care

Jason

Sporties because of low ground clearence and 2 wheel drive are limited in the amount of trails you'll want to tackle. If you travel with utility atvs who don't mind pulling you out of mud and across creeks you can add a few more trails to your list. Once Kings River becomes snow free that is one. Jim Creek is the sportie mecca. Stay away from trails like Boulder, Pinochle and others further down the glenn. Rock gardens, mudholes and deepwater. It's just a fact, alaska isn't really sportie terrain and your areas to ride are real limited compared to utility atvs.

I am always looking for some fellow sporty's to go riding with. Keep in touch with me.

Yeah we do have a guy who has a Yamaha 660 that rides with us. We arent scared to get dirty but obviously if it completely impossible to go through the trail then i hear ya. We usually carry tow straps and recovery equipment. Luckily though our sporties are light enough that they can easily be lifted and moved if need be. Sutton was definately a challenge going through the trail that goes up the woodland part of the mountain. But our fuel status limited how far we went. Thanks for those suggestions though. Please keep them coming!!

Jesse,

Definately bud, once we start hitting the trails ill send you a message. Are you able to get on base?

Jesse,

Definately bud, once we start hitting the trails ill send you a message. Are you able to get on base?
    Yes. I am ANG.

Default Can't sell the sporties short

if the rider is really good they can handle a surprising amount of mud. A combination of light weight and speed I think, but still they are limited in ground clearance for a lot of the trails.
    I don't know how a sporty would do on a snogo trail, if it was frozen I know it would be good but actually think it may handle a "punchy" spring trail better than a 4x4.
    Anyway, Kings River is do-able on a sporty once it dries up but the trail is getting pretty rocky. Personally the sound of aluminum scraping on rock kinda grits my teeth.
    Check out the trails forum at the club site, closer to the season you should be able to put some rides together.
    Right now Jim Creek is the only game in town for you. Try going out the RS2477 trail along side the gravel pit to get to the flats.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    Anyway, Kings River is do-able on a sporty once it dries up but the trail is getting pretty rocky.
    I forgot about that rock garden There are oil spills in there from jeeps and trucks puncturing their oil pans. Pinochle has to have the worst rock garden though, that one creek.

You can ride up Baldy mtn behind Wasilla. Fun winter ride on dirt bikes and sport quads.

Default Trails

I have been in Alaska for 10 years and have had sport riders out with us on many occasions. Yeah, it's a pain in you know where when we have to help tow or push them through something, but the more the merrier. You can ride a sport machine at Boulder very easily. Shucks, I could ride a tricycle out on that one. There is one spot at the base of Anthracite Ridge that gets your attention, but it's doable on a sport. Also, Eureka is nothing short of phenominal riding, and sport machines are all over those trails every year. Might wanna have a couple guys out there with big machines, and tow ropes just in case. also survival gear and equipment is in order. Right before Eureka is belanger Pass Trail, also a phenominal ride. I have bene tothat one in a STOCK jeep, and my griz and other machines. It is so easy a 6 year old kid could ride that one. you could ride Pinochle no problem, at least to the top of the mountain and around. King River is OK, but only about 14 miles in. And that rocky stretch the others mentioned is BRUTAL especially to sport machine bottoms. You can ride Petersville Road, thats up the Parks Hwy right past Talkeetna. Hatcher's Pass is also up that way and a great area even for sport quads.
    On the Anchorage side, there is Bird Creek Trail, it's only so much fun. There are lots of folks in there so you shouldn't ride like a maniac lest someone shoot you in the back for spraying their kids with mud. Watch out for brown bears on that trail, a buddy of mine last summer nearly ran literally right into a big brown bear when we were coming out of there. We almost crapped ourselves..

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    I have been in Alaska for 10 years and have had sport riders out with us on many occasions. Yeah, it's a pain in you know where when we have to help tow or push them through something, but the more the merrier. You can ride a sport machine at Boulder very easily. Shucks, I could ride a tricycle out on that one. There is one spot at the base of Anthracite Ridge that gets your attention, but it's doable on a sport. Also, Eureka is nothing short of phenominal riding, and sport machines are all over those trails every year. Might wanna have a couple guys out there with big machines, and tow ropes just in case. also survival gear and equipment is in order. Right before Eureka is belanger Pass Trail, also a phenominal ride. I have bene tothat one in a STOCK jeep, and my griz and other machines. It is so easy a 6 year old kid could ride that one. you could ride Pinochle no problem, at least to the top of the mountain and around. King River is OK, but only about 14 miles in. And that rocky stretch the others mentioned is BRUTAL especially to sport machine bottoms. You can ride Petersville Road, thats up the Parks Hwy right past Talkeetna. Hatcher's Pass is also up that way and a great area even for sport quads.
    On the Anchorage side, there is Bird Creek Trail, it's only so much fun. There are lots of folks in there so you shouldn't ride like a maniac lest someone shoot you in the back for spraying their kids with mud. Watch out for brown bears on that trail, a buddy of mine last summer nearly ran literally right into a big brown bear when we were coming out of there. We almost crapped ourselves..
    You lost me when you said Pinochle is no problem for a sportie Riding to the top of the mountain is nothing, thats where the trail starts to get nasty pretty much. The same with Eureka, they may play on this side of the little nel with the majority of all atv riders. I've ridden enough miles and trails with sporties to know it's like hiking with your one legged partner in the mountains.

Default Riding

Ok, you got me on Pinochle, but I disagree on Eureka. Depending on which area you go into to ride. The gravel pit area is USUALLY accessible to the sport machines all out through that area and even beyond the mountain behind as long as they ride with some guys with big machines. Dang, someone's gotta carry the tools..

eureka is a great place for sport quads or dirt bikes...a couple years ago we were 30+ miles back on dirt bikes, the only reason we stopped was fuel was running low... a lot of bikes and sport quads all over that place....very easy trails....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You can ride up Baldy mtn behind Wasilla. Fun winter ride on dirt bikes and sport quads.
    Where's the trailhead to baldy mtn?? I have a general idea but to you have to trespass to get to it?

Default Eureka?

30 miles in and ok by sport bike? Ever been 50 miles in and hauled out a couple of moose and all of you gear? Ever been way the he.. back in there and hauled out a ton of fossils and all of your gear?
    Try that after it rained for two days and barely getting across the Little Nel!
    Scared some friends from SanFranscisco so bad they swear they will never come back!
    On the flip side, seen it so hot and low water anybody with a bicycle could have made it in and out.
    Try a 1000 pound load up the backside of Monument sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    30 miles in and ok by sport bike? Ever been 50 miles in and hauled out a couple of moose and all of you gear? Ever been way the he.. back in there and hauled out a ton of fossils and all of your gear?
    Try that after it rained for two days and barely getting across the Little Nel!
    Scared some friends from SanFranscisco so bad they swear they will never come back!
    On the flip side, seen it so hot and low water anybody with a bicycle could have made it in and out.
    Try a 1000 pound load up the backside of Monument sometime.
    I think he's looking to go riding...not sure where the fossil, moose talk, and 2 days of rain come into play.....perhaps I missed something...lol..

at any rate, Eureka is a fantastic place to ride sporties...heck, it is a great place to ride anything, even a bicycle......there isn't a machine made that can't have a good time back there....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I think he's looking to go riding...not sure where the fossil, moose talk, and 2 days of rain come into play.....perhaps I missed something...lol..

at any rate, Eureka is a fantastic place to ride sporties...heck, it is a great place to ride anything, even a bicycle......there isn't a machine made that can't have a good time back there....
    True for most part, during the dry and low river months. Fact is the great percentage of people won't even cross the little nel and stay on this side of it. I'll go in there well into June and see NO other tracks on the other side of the LN. Sporties don't cross deep water very well, go up to Jim Creek and watch how many drown each weekend compared to utility atvs. When the riding in Eureka is easy Sporties are fine. When it ain't they are worthless. I try to be the first one across the LN every year. If you want to try with us bring your sportie and your personal floatation device