Thread: King Spin N Glow

Default King Spin N Glow

Someone told me about a rig using a spin n glow for the Kenai. He said to turn the Spin N Glow backwards on the leader, trim the fins and....................I forgot the rest.............Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to rig the lure?

Default backwards???

I have seen just about every combo possible with spin-n-glows (and tried most)... haven't seen anything that truly works any better than anything else. Simply get it in front of them, with some good bait when allowed and you'll be yelling "Fish On!".

The biggest thing is to get the bait at the right depth in the water column, where the fish are, and in the fish traffic lane. Keep the bait fresh. and things will work just fine.

Good luck

Default alaskanfishinguides...

sorry to butt in on the thread, but I caught your comment on getting presentations to the right depth and in the "lane". From my last post about drifting for kings, I understand the concept for that type of fishing is to be occasionally bouncing along the bottom (sinker/weight that is). I don't have a fishfinder on our boat (thinking about getting an inexpensive one this year) so finding the "lane" for me is by following the track of other boats drifting ahead/downstream of me. Am I wasting money by buying an inexpensive unit (around or under 100.00)?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Cool Someone is pulling your leg

Whoever told you about running a spin glo backwards on the leader is trying to mess you up so they can do more fishing.To do so will tangle your line so bad that it will take surgury to fix the mess.Rig-up like you know how ,get in a fishes face,and enjoy your time on the water.

Running the SNG backwards is no more likely to tangle up than the normal way. It will however cause it to spin faster as the reversed wings will get a better "bite" into the current. Especially so in the faster runs.... the current will tend to flatten the long wings of a std SNG, but will tend to "flare" the wings of a reversed SNG to grab more water.

If you want to try something different, cut one wing off. That will throw the lure off balance (think of buying new tires without getting the wheels balanced) and give your offering a bit more action in thw water. Aleternatively, some guys purposely seek out the SNG's with the de-centered holes to achieve the same off-balance action, though on a smaller scale.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    sorry to butt in on the thread, but I caught your comment on getting presentations to the right depth and in the "lane". From my last post about drifting for kings, I understand the concept for that type of fishing is to be occasionally bouncing along the bottom (sinker/weight that is). I don't have a fishfinder on our boat (thinking about getting an inexpensive one this year) so finding the "lane" for me is by following the track of other boats drifting ahead/downstream of me. Am I wasting money by buying an inexpensive unit (around or under 100.00)?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Sent pm...

Default fishnphysician

Thanks, everyone. I'll mess around with them this year. I'm always ready to try something new when it comes to lures. I guess I'm one of those that keeps lure companies in business. I wish I could remember the hookup. It had another unit behind the SNG and the blades clicked on the reversed SNG as an attraction. Old age getting to me. I SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN IT DOWN!
    Mike

Default my .02

when he says "trimmed" he may mean "cut off." a new and fairly popular way to rig is to use a cheater w/ no wings (they sell them this way now) with separate blades above it and a spacer in between. I'd venture to say that about a quarter or so of the guides are using this method now. I think the most important thing is to get your bait size/floatant size ratio perfected - along with the appropriate leader length that suits your ratio. That is, the larger the SNG the higher it will float; and the heavier the bait, the less your rig will float up; you also have to take into account that a longer leader will allow your bait to float up higher as well. All these things need to be tuned in so that your bait size, leader length, and SNG size work well as a combination for the conditions. If you're back bouncing, then these are the only factors to consider... however, if back trolling, you need to think about the size of diver you use and the type of main line and leader. These three things also affect whether or not your bait is in the "strike zone."
    It's my belief that this is why certain boats get "hot" from time to time - their combination is perfect for the current conditions.
    I also believe that it's more affective to find a combo that works under the maximum amount of condition, rather than trying to change up every time the conditions do.
    Personally, I don't think the lane you fish is nearly as important as this other stuff.... except for that your rig may be better suited for the conditions in a particular lane.
    A lot to think about - who knows though, it may all be a bunch of BS and the fish gods decide who gets lucky that day.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    a new and fairly popular way to rig is to use a cheater w/ no wings (they sell them this way now) with separate blades above it and a spacer in between. I'd venture to say that about a quarter or so of the guides are using this method now.

You mean like this?

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

That's it.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Doc,

What don't you have a photo of? Any reverse "amputee" drop shot rigs? I hope you don't have this because I made it up....

Smile markw3

WOW! That's the hook up I was looking for in the beginning. I appreciate all your help. The photos were great. Thanks for the tips. I plan on trying it this season. Looks like something new that's worth trying.

Mike