Thread: Eight of us rode to the glacier today. Pics.

Default Eight of us rode to the glacier today. Pics.

Today ADUKHNT, AKMuddy and myself along with five others rode out to the Knik glacier. The ride was challenging at times to say the least. The winches paid for themselves. We still had a great ride though! It was great to ride with AKMuddy again, and his friend as well as meeting ADUKHNT and the others.

My pics aren't the best since I unfortunately had a smudge on my lense I didn't know about until I got home, but here are a few anyway:
    The whole bunch of us at Wolf Point:

Found this guy looking down at us there:

Here we are at the glacier:

The rest of you - feel free to jump in here and add your own pics. I got stuck once and had to be pulled out by an Arctic Cat. It should be noted though, the cat was helped by another Grizzly, as it couldn't handle the task alone. I only got stuck because some heavier wheelers broke the ice up and I fell through. I couldn't get up on the ice ledge without help. I did get to pull out another Cat before that though. Score: even!

So when is the next ride?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I'll chime in here....AKSoldier is right. The trail was tough today. When he fell into the before mentioned "hole" (made by the Arctic Cat 700), he was up to the bottom of his seat. The ice edge was about 4 inches thick. There was a Polaris 500 H.O. in it's side "in" the ice just ahead of us (but I'll let Barlinator tell his own story). Here is the picture of AKSoldier pulling out the Arctic Kitty 400... Thanks to AKSoldier for finding a good trail out. My trail was cut short by some angry beavers! I had a great time riding with AKSoldier and meeting and riding with ADUKHNT and his friend. We will have to go again soon. I think I will wear scuba gear next time.

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Awesome Photos

Those are some awesome photos. I don't have an ATV myself but sure enjoy reading the stories of all of you heading up to the Knik glacier--never been there myself either but hope to change that later this year on a hunting trip in that area.

Where is the spot pictured in the last photo??--sure looks cool with the steep rock banks and the icy river.

looks like a great ride. Dig the pics.

Looks like fun. I'd like to get out there on the dirt bike but I'm wondering if most the area is still covered in ice?

How was the Jim Creek crossing?

Any info on the conditions is appreciated! I'd like to get out there this week if it's possible to get around without being on ice most the time.

I enjoyed the ride yesterday. The conditions were; mud, ice, water, water covered ice, and breaking through ice into water. Jim Creek was slushy, not bad on an ATV but I don't know if it would be any fun at all on a dirt bike. Did I mention there was ice and water? We had a great time even with a rough detour on the way back. My friend from CA had a great time, they don't have ice and water in the desert.

Metal Creek looking back to the glacier:

I hope everyone enjoys the pics! I look forward to going again soon.

Just a couple more pics.

AKsoldier-getting his shots

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    Looks like fun. I'd like to get out there on the dirt bike but I'm wondering if most the area is still covered in ice?

How was the Jim Creek crossing?

Any info on the conditions is appreciated! I'd like to get out there this week if it's possible to get around without being on ice most the time.
    Murdock,

We did not see anyone on dirt bikes out there. We did see a few sport quads but they were having a tough time just getting to the flats. The trails to the flats are still ice and large sections of water. The sport quads headed out just before us. They were stopped just a little ways down the trails spinning tires and sliding sideways and backward. We worked our way around them and headed on out to Jim Creek. The crossing was better than I thought, but there is a lot of overflow at the crossing right now. The crossing is easily triple the normal width with about 12" - 14" of water on top of ice. We never saw any sport quads go past Jim Creek. The sand on the flats is getting very soft during the day. Two weeks ago I ran the flats at 45 - 55mph no problems. Yesterday, I was having a hard time getting above 40mph in most sections. My tires were sinking in. I would give it some time to dry out before I headed out there. I'm not a dirt biker so I may be wrong but I would not think you would have a good time out there. One option may be to ride around the Old Glenn Hwy bridge at Knik River. I drove by there today and it looked pretty dry. Dust was an issue. The wind was blowing strong and dust was kicking up out there. Hope this helps.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by majorbam View Post
    Where is the spot pictured in the last photo??--sure looks cool with the steep rock banks and the icy river.
    That picture was taken from an area where a cabin used to be that overlooks Metal Creek about 2 miles (roughly) from the Glacier. I hear that piece of property is for sale and comes with a liquor license. I think the owner is asking over 500K though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Wow, nice pics. I wanna do that someday.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    That picture was taken from an area where a cabin used to be that overlooks Metal Creek about 2 miles (roughly) from the Glacier. I hear that piece of property is for sale and comes with a liquor license. I think the owner is asking over 500K though.
    750K, its still listed

Thanks for the info on the conditions. I had some nasty falls last April on wet ice so hopefully that can be avoided this time. I'm going to head out there on Friday and see how far we can get. Any riding is better than no riding! I'm just itching to try out the new (to me) '05 WR450F.
    '05 WR450F with hot grips!

I would not personally take my dirt bike out yet without ice screws - there is Lots of ice under deep water with little or no option on lines to chose. The two dirt bikes I saw Sunday were hauled out to the sands and then ridden.
    Take Care!