Thread: South Fork E.R. Today

Thumbs up South Fork E.R. Today

Just got back from making a quick run up Highland Road. I'd rather ski Turnagain, but the avalanche conditions are pretty bad right now. So instead of sitting inside all day, I figured some local turns are better than none at all.

Since I was alone I just skied from the saddle above the trailhead. The snow was mixed - heavy down low, a bit crusty in the middle, and soft wind drifts at the top. Conditions under my skis changed noticably every 5-7 turns, but again...any turns are better than none at all.

On a negative note, Harp Mountain has avalanched recently. The entire right side of the bowl tore out and slid right down to the tundra. The upper parts of the bowl still look good, but I imagine that same weak layer is present there as well. Just not worth the risk, in my humble opinion.

Default Peak Bagging

Brian,
    PM me if you want to do some 1 day (or shorter) peak bagging (non-technical scrambling) in some of the more remote areas. I am tired of doing the usual hikes/climbs runs. I live up by mile 10 ER road and have access up Mt. Significant from my backyard. Nearly 5,000 vertical. I've been eyeballing Eagle Peak, but it looks like a 2 day-er.

Later,

Chris

To ski or to climb? I'm up for either, but you're thinking about skiing Eagle Peak? Man....I climbed it from the Eagle River side years ago, and I'm not so sure I'd want to ski the route we climbed. Maybe off the back side?

Anyhow, yeah...I'm up for it. I'll be in touch.

Default Oops, wrong forum

Yes I meant hike. ;-) For some reason I thought this was the same thread about symphony lakes, lol. My bad.

I am drooling over some of the hikes in "50 hikes in Chugach State Park" and am looking forward to doing some new peaks and traverses.

As far as skiing goes....I am still in x-c skiing mode...one more week or two and the trails will be trashed and I will be in backcountry mode as long as the conditions are safe!

-Chris

Incidentally, you can do Eagle Peak in a day. I think it is faster (and far easier) from Eagle Lake on the back side, but we did it in a day from the front. We left the Eagle River Nature Center at 6:00am and returned sometime between midnight and 1:00am. Loooong day, but worth it.

Default skiing front range

If you have time come into Anchorage, ski the front range, Peak 1-3 are skiing great, till the wind comes (Sat. night)will stay great. Heading back up this early afternoon for another run, 10" of pow, no crust layers except on lee side loaded gulleys and easy to stay away from. Avie danger low to mod. Road clearead to bottom of each peak.Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip, mad. I was going to ski Peak 3 today, but since the sun didn't show up until mid-afternoon I figured that it would be crusty. I did get in another run up South Fork, so at least I got to make some turns. Same place as before, but this time it was almost like skiing groomers. It was windblown hard-pack, but not icy. Pretty fun, actually, though a little inconsistent down lower. Windy up high, nice and warm down low. All in all better than sitting on my couch!

Planning to ski Harp Mt. on Monday after work, so I'll post another report then. I'd love to hear how Peak 3 is looking over the next week, as I may head that way Friday after work.